what is the torsion bar code for SSS's?

moregrip

thanks guys, my question isn't so much spring rate related, as it is related to relieving more tension than is safe. It's my understanding that a certain amount of TB tension is needed to be safe and for the spring to function correctly. If true, I would only have so much room to play with before it would make more sense(safety wise) to step down to the next lighter spring to maintain the min required amount of tension to stay safe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Whats the min. required amount of tension?

that's my question, what is it if true? I'd also like to know why?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanks guys, my question isn't so much spring rate related, as it is related to relieving more tension than is safe. It's my understanding that a certain amount of TB tension is needed to be safe and for the spring to function correctly. If true, I would only have so much room to play with before it would make more sense(safety wise) to step down to the next lighter spring to maintain the min required amount of tension to stay safe. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Whats the min. required amount of tension?

that's my question, what is it if true? I'd also like to know why?

I have never heard but I would assume it could be true. the only thing I can think of for a reason is what I posted near the end of page 1.

Would relaxing my current tb's yeild the same effect as installing the YT's(next spring down)?

I have heard relaxing tb's too much is dangerous...

No, turning the adjustment bolt does not change the spring rate. Think of the adjustment bolt/keys/pork chop as a weight jack. It will change the height of the vehicle by changing the angle of attack of the spring, but the spring will retain almost exactly the same stored energy with minor differences for weight shift (front end goes down, it will carry ever so slightly more weight). Unless you lower it enough to rest on the bumpstops, your springs will have the same stiffness as before.

Actually you would be wrong. The reason is because the tortion bars have preload on them from the factory which makes them act stiffer than they really are. When you release the preload then the spring will be softer once the preload is released then yes it will have the same spring rate at any other ride height. Your ride will soften a bit but not much to make enough of a difference IMO.

O.K., you got me there. Preload would be minimal in both weight jack situations and torsion bar situations as you stated. Preload only refers to how much tension is on the spring at topped out suspension travel, of which there is still a pretty good amount even after lowering the stock keys.

I still want to change my torsion bars. Maybe a trip to the salvage yard some weekend to strip some 3/4 tons springs... :smash:

Archived