AWD vs RWD

TheGunny

rwd=smokey burnouts & better gas mileage, less weight

awd=hard launches & shitty gas mileage, more weight

Not really sure what you want to know... these are just a couple of obvious details... :thumbs

both have about the same exact 1/4 mile et stock for stock, awd helps alot more on the launch/dig. 2wd has better top end. mpg is a tad better on the 2wd . but they stopped making awd in 06 . the awd is what made me get the truck since its the only sport truck that has awd. even though i dont really need it here in ca, its just nice to have. anotherbad thing is you cant lower awd as much as you can a 2wd. Also no burnouts for awd. they both definatle have pros and cons.

you can do AWD burnouts...your truck just wont like it :D

Chase hit it on the head, AWD was a big selling point, and I live in the snow belt.

and now since they dont make AWD anymore it makes my truck special :crazy:

Chase hit it on the head, AWD was a big selling point, and I live in the snow belt.

and now since they dont make AWD anymore it makes my truck special :crazy:

Now that they don't make AWD or Arrival Blue, I guess mine is really special :D

The AWD, sport truck was the appeal to me as well, plus the styling which definitely turns heads.

I think the 4.10's have as much to do with the shitty mileage as the AWD does. My C3 has the LQ4 and AWD, but with 3.73's... and can get 20+mpg at 55-60 and 18+ at 70mph with the A/C on. If it had 4.10's I'd bet it wouldn't do nearly that well.

I think the 4.10's have as much to do with the shitty mileage as the AWD does. My C3 has the LQ4 and AWD, but with 3.73's... and can get 20+mpg at 55-60 and 18+ at 70mph with the A/C on. If it had 4.10's I'd bet it wouldn't do nearly that well.

:withstupid: It's mostly the gears; my factory mileage at 70 was around mid-16's (with 4.10s).

AFA the snow argument, yes the AWD helps in snow but not as much as you might think because there is no low range. Plus most of us keep the wide tires on the truck, and wide tires do not get much grip in snow (they hydroplane on the snow rather than dig through it). BUT, AWD is the total bomb in the rain; if you buy really good wet weather tires you can cruise at 80 in a Texas downpour, no prob. I've had a 454 in a 1/2-ton truck already, and that thing could leave the light in second without traction at will; I'm much happier with the AWD.

Mr. P. :)

I chose the SS for the same reason. I wanted a sport truck with AWD.

AWD is the ticket in the stoplight-to-stoplight wars. You can outlaunch just about anything. Also, in a daily driver in this climate, the AWD really helps in the rain and snow. No I wouldn't attempt to run through the deep, unplowed, untracked stuff or go off-roading (at least on the stock tires), but I can get around town and down the highway just fine. Plus, on wet roads, AWD helps handling as well as straight-ahead traction.

If you ask me, it was a mistake for GM to do away with the AWD option. It's not for everyone, but heck it was a key feature in the original Silverado SS concept. :chevy:

I wanted the AWD because i wanted to go down to one vehicle (I had an avalanche Z71 and still have a 12 second GTX/GTP) that I could:

1. Drive in the winter. (avalanche could do this as does the SSS)

2. Tow my bass boat and haul friends to the lake (Avalanche and SSS)

3. Beat on mustangs for less than $10k invested into it (Avalanche no go...)

I think for under $10k, you can get an SSS into the high to mid 12's and have a killer holeshot with the AWD.

How well the AWD works in the snow also depends on how the torque is distributed to the front wheels. I havent had an opportunity to read up on this much yet.

I live in a snowy climate so awd was a must.  :chevy:

what the hell is this snow you speak of...??? :dunno::jester:

~Brian

:crackup: You know, when I attended my senior year of high school in Tucson (Marana actually :sick:) I met other seniors that had never seen snow - no kidding. So I cut school one afternoon, drove to Mt. Lemmon and filled the back of the truck with snow all the way up to the roof of the cab, tarped it over, and then drove back to the HS parking lot as the bell let out for the day. The snow did better than I thought, a lot of it survived. It was great, we had snowball fights in the middle of the desert. Those teachers f'ing hated me :P Sorry, that comment just brought back a good memory from a not-so-good time.

I live in a snowy climate so awd was a must.  :chevy:

what the hell is this snow you speak of...??? :dunno::jester:

~Brian

:crackup: You know, when I attended my senior year of high school in Tucson (Marana actually :sick:) I met other seniors that had never seen snow - no kidding. So I cut school one afternoon, drove to Mt. Lemmon and filled the back of the truck with snow all the way up to the roof of the cab, tarped it over, and then drove back to the HS parking lot as the bell let out for the day. The snow did better than I thought, a lot of it survived. It was great, we had snowball fights in the middle of the desert. Those teachers f'ing hated me :P Sorry, that comment just brought back a good memory from a not-so-good time.

That's good. :crackup:

:thumbs: Awesome story P..

As for the AWD/RWD discussion.. AWD was the biggest reason I chose my truck as well.. We don't get a whole lot of snow here in AR, but we did get an ice storm last winter and truck did MUCH better than my wifes 4x4 Envoy in that slick stuff (not that her Envoy did bad, I just felt the truck felt more planted..)

Archived