Oil change intervals

SilveradoEsEs

I have surmised a big part of mileage disparity in the GM Gen 3 from people has a lot to do with (aside from all the obvious reasons) is elevation ... If I take a trip from phoenix to yuma, I might get 17 if I'm lucky ... If I take a trip from phoenix to durango colorado, I crack 20 every time ... Cruise set to 75-80 both ways ... I have a good buddy who has an H3 and in his year or so of logging, he has come to the same conclusion ... ELEVATION ... 11H

ok well i run royal purple and it says to just change the oil filter every 3000 miles and to change the oil every other time you change the filter....so when i change the filter should i reset the oil monitor? or should i just change it all when the oil monitor says? i also use WIX filters....any help would be appreciated! thanks

who cares about MPG can someone answer this for me??

ok well i run royal purple and it says to just change the oil filter every 3000 miles and to change the oil every other time you change the filter....so when i change the filter should i reset the oil monitor? or should i just change it all when the oil monitor says? i also use WIX filters....any help would be appreciated! thanks

If you are going to go by the RP recommendation, then why bother with the oil monitor?

I don't get your question ... :confused:

If you are going to run the oil 6,000 on 2 filters, then run the oil monitor the whole 6,000 to see how long you're going both ways ...

FWIW, the oil monitor is a sophisticated algorithm (math equasion) that takes into account how you drive cycle the vehicle ... It looks at time ran, op temp and for how long, rpm, distance, iat, and a bunch of other things to estimate how long you can run a motor oil in the proper vis range (5W30 or 10W30) in a GF-4 rating ... Period

The oil life monitor has no idea what oil or filter you use ... You have to put the recommended oil and filter on, and it assumes you have and then calculates based on the oil quality being GF-4 5W30 or 10W30 ... If you reset the monitor it assumes it is starting the algorythm over at zero with new oil and filter ...

If you put a $10 M1 filter on it or a $1 STP, it doesn't care, if you put $10 a qt redline in it, or $1 a qt super tech in it, it will not base it's calculation of oil longevity on this ...

help?

My advice is follow the oil manufacturer's guidelines; I would ignore the DTC oil life monitor and just go by mileage, as RP recommends.

RE: mileage, a very high quality 0W-30 oil is far better than a 5W-30 not only for mileage but performance as well, and in winter months I use 0W-30 in my SS and still have monster oil pressure. There are several independent lab studies on different brands of 5W and 0W oils and to my memory AMSOil 0W-30 and Mobile1 0W-30 scored very well.

Mr. P.

GM should not have called it an "oil life monitor" ... They should have called it an "oil life calculator" --- "as long as you put in what we tested against the calculation, and told the EPA what we were gonna print in the manual" ... haha

My advice is follow the oil manufacturer's guidelines; I would ignore the DTC oil life monitor and just go by mileage, as RP recommends.

RE: mileage, a very high quality 0W-30 oil is far better than a 5W-30 not only for mileage but performance as well, and in winter months I use 0W-30 in my SS and still have monster oil pressure. There are several independent lab studies on different brands of 5W and 0W oils and to my memory AMSOil 0W-30 and Mobile1 0W-30 scored very well.

Mr. P.

I would fully agree with this statement if the ambient temps allowed the 0W to actually be thinner during a run cycle... however if ambient temps were nearly in the middle of each oil's recommended ambient range, then both being a true synthetic, 0w30 would not have any less measureable drag than a 5W30 synthetic ... In fact it is possible the 5W30 would allow for a better ring seal in a higher ambient range, to allow for less leak-down ... Basically what I am saying, priority one, protection, then ambient temps dictate viscosity ... if you meant "protection performance" I agree. but if you meant "power performance" I wanted to add a little ... :)

Not to debate one iota ... but oils happen to be a passion and I study Tribology as a passtime ... :P

Peace

Archived