changed back to stock pcm

jboyss

OK so here is my dilema. I just put my stock pcm back in because i am goin to get it supercharged tomorrow and i want the radix tune on the stock pcm. Now the problem is when i come to a stop the brakes make very weird noises and pressure is a little less and its difficult to stop.

ok i just took it back out and its not so much a loss of pressure but im thinking maybe the ABS is f'ed up cause everytime im about to come to a complete stop it makes a weird weird noise and like a chattering in the brake pedal.

but i cant because i have to ship the other one to bryan so he can tune me up for a 2.9 and all of my other mods.

BE CAREFUL with his radix tune. I wouldn't run your truck hard until you can take a look at it with some tuning software. My truck and I believe Holty's had the PCM4less radix tune, and PE mode wasn't set to come on til 90% throttle. Also, I had about 10* too much timing in the lower RPM, higher load areas... Result, LOTS of KR and crappy performance.

but i cant because i have to ship the other one to bryan so he can tune me up for a 2.9 and all of my other mods.

BE CAREFUL with his radix tune. I wouldn't run your truck hard until you can take a look at it with some tuning software. My truck and I believe Holty's had the PCM4less radix tune, and PE mode wasn't set to come on til 90% throttle. Also, I had about 10* too much timing in the lower RPM, higher load areas... Result, LOTS of KR and crappy performance.

I have found that with his tuning as well as Allen and Jessie's. I've done tuning work with unhappy customers from them and found that to be on all 3 different tuners. I even seen one from Jessie that was on a radix where he actually did change the P.E. table, but only to 70%. The radix will get into boost by around roughly 40% and not running in the P.E. under anything more than 1-2psi of boost can be damaging to the engine and cause a major power loss. I've found that most of those trucks where the P.E. table is set incorrectly the trucks were running in the low octane table caused by spark knock under part throttle when the P.E. should have been there. In most cases the owner of the truck had no idea that they were losing so much power from the low octane table. Most just complained that the truck didn't have as much power as it should have under hard acceleration, but not wide open (such as 50-60% or so). Even if the wide open throttle tuning was correct, the pcm had already switched to the low octane table so it's not uncommon to find one only running 10 degrees of timing under wide open. I won't even go into how terrible I've found mail order tuning transmissin settings. It's enough to make me cringe...

I have found that with his tuning as well as Allen and Jessie's. I've done tuning work with unhappy customers from them and found that to be on all 3 different tuners. I even seen one from Jessie that was on a radix where he actually did change the P.E. table, but only to 70%. The radix will get into boost by around roughly 40% and not running in the P.E. under anything more than 1-2psi of boost can be damaging to the engine and cause a major power loss. I've found that most of those trucks where the P.E. table is set incorrectly the trucks were running in the low octane table caused by spark knock under part throttle when the P.E. should have been there. In most cases the owner of the truck had no idea that they were losing so much power from the low octane table. Most just complained that the truck didn't have as much power as it should have under hard acceleration, but not wide open (such as 50-60% or so). Even if the wide open throttle tuning was correct, the pcm had already switched to the low octane table so it's not uncommon to find one only running 10 degrees of timing under wide open. I won't even go into how terrible I've found mail order tuning transmissin settings. It's enough to make me cringe...

I can second that. Zippy helped me gain alot more power and lower my KR from 8 to about 1 (before I sold the blower) over the previous tuner that I was using.

OK then zippy im waitin for you to come to long island, whens that gonna be? I wanted a tune form you to begin with but i figured id have pcmforless get me close with a 2.9 for only 50 bucks, and you can tweek me up the rest of the way. But i guess ill just drive it around on the 3.3 and stock radix tune for awhile till i can get to you.

just get some loged runs to make sure you are good with fuel. and try your best to get a zippy tune-cause I dont know who else can dial them in as good as he can, play it safe. When I was at the dyno it was impressive how he knew not to push a truck cause of a small issue(too lean) and he backed out of the run so the truck did not get messed up any, and with my tune he put a new one in after we were off the rollers casue how hot my truck was running on the dyno, which was too cool since that is that little bit that makes a difference.

with all this computer mess on these newer trucks it is not about just getting it done it is about getting it done RIGHT or your truck will not like it and give you reduced power, which is what I notice with a lot of guys on perftrucks they goto the track and get slower times and wonder why...it is in the programming!!!

sorry for the long post, but I dont want you to mess up the truck any. :driving:

:banghead: mail order tunes...............crap is what that is! but none the less...waiting for your PM zippy!

if Zippy cant do it no one can. hes the best of the best of the bestest

OK then zippy im waitin for you to come to long island, whens that gonna be? I wanted a tune form you to begin with but i figured id have pcmforless get me close with a 2.9 for only 50 bucks, and you can tweek me up the rest of the way. But i guess ill just drive it around on the 3.3 and stock radix tune for awhile till i can get to you.

Odd enough I do have a trip coming to New York coming up soon.

Hey Zippy, I'll buy you a steak dinner if you want to look over my logs and tune as well. I would love to see how close I got it to your standards.

Anyway, Jboy's tune with the break issue is on the stock PCM. I kind of think it has something to do with the Big Bear brake conversion and the BIG 23's. It is deffinately the ABS kicking in.

We did the Radix install and flashed the Magna tune on the stock PCM this weekend. I drove it and the ABS kicked in under moderate breaking. :dunno:

Here is one for you Zippy, he ordered his Radix NEW and it came with a 2.9" pulley. We didn't get into any logging cuz it was late. What is your opinion on that one. Do you think Magna gave a very mild 3.3 tune with decreased timing and different fuel parameters to compensate for the 2.9? He is seeing 9psi in 1st gear and it pulls nicely. fuel pressure is fine as well. Just seemed strange that Magna will send out a unit with a pulley that isn't suggested for this application.

Hey Zippy, I'll buy you a steak dinner if you want to look over my logs and tune as well.  I would love to see how close I got it to your standards.

Anyway, Jboy's tune with the break issue is on the stock PCM.  I kind of think it has something to do with the Big Bear brake conversion and the BIG 23's.  It is deffinately the ABS kicking in.

We did the Radix install and flashed the Magna tune on the stock PCM this weekend.  I drove it and the ABS kicked in under moderate breaking.  :dunno:

Here is one for you Zippy, he ordered his Radix NEW and it came with a 2.9" pulley.  We didn't get into any logging cuz it was late.  What is your opinion on that one.  Do you think Magna gave a very mild 3.3 tune with decreased timing and different fuel parameters to compensate for the 2.9?  He is seeing 9psi in 1st gear and it pulls nicely.  fuel pressure is fine as well.  Just seemed strange that Magna will send out a unit with a pulley that isn't suggested for this application.

I specifically ordered the kit with the 2.9 special for him :driving:

So they sent it out that way per my order.

Archived