Lowering an '06

Just ordered Belltech 3" Drop leafs from northernautoparts.com, got the set for $243.97 shipped and they should be here by Friday :thumbs: One quick question on that, I won't have to drop the gas tank for leaf swap will I? Just unbolt the old ones and replace them with the new?

Going to do a 2" T-bar drop up front for the moment. Will pick up Belltech spindles sometime in June. Could have ordered them today had that moron not shot my windows out.

Any advice on where to pick up some Purple Keys? New or used, I don't care. Stealership wants $40/ea for them and I don't want to wait 3 - 4 weeks for gmpartsdirect to get them to my door.

Thanks,

I dunno what these purple keys are your talking about but you will probably have to drop the tank to to the leafs you may beable to just remove the straps and move it to the side.

Damn, no big deal on the tank - gotta do what ya gotta do..

The GM Purple Keys (P/N 15045171) replace the factory torsion keys (obviously) With them you get an extra 1" - 2" of downward adjustment. In fact, just by putting in the keys - with the bolt in the same posistion - it's 1" - 1.5" lower. Basically do the same thing as Belltech keys, but much - much - much cheaper and not quite as much of a drop. Good for atleast 2" though, probably more.

Yeah well most people don't know what the hell they are talking about anyways. The McGaughys spindles won't work on the 05-06 2wd trucks because they have larger brakes than the earlier trucks did and McGaughys changed the dimention of their spindles for whatever reason from the hub mounting location to the caliper mounting location, and on 05-06 truck it puts the caliper right on the spindle.

You will also need a carrier bearing relocator. These trucks do come with two different types of carrier bearings so it will depend on which one you have, I got lucky and just ordered the relocator and it ended up being for the carrier bearing that I have.

I went with the McGaughey 2" spindles and they worked great on my '05 SS. There was an earlier design that resulted in an increase in turning radius, but that was fixed in the later design. My only problem with BelTech is that the tech I called at the company recommended the Tkey kit. That is definitely not the way to go IMO. I should have read deeper into the threads. Now the truck is Soooo much better on the drop spindles. Either brand should work fine.