Cam help needed

i am probably going to go with a futral cam again but i am very open to suggestions on who to go with. im going to be building a forced fed 408 soon, im planning on using stock heads for a while until i can get the money for a good set. im planning on running about 6-8 psi for boost and 10-12 psi at the track , cr, is going to be 10.0.1 . I want a beefy cam that is still driveable around town, would also like to be able to pass emissions but i think the tuning should be able to fix that when i need it! Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't stray from one of the best if not, the best, cam guy in the business.

Good luck on the emission legal thing. I would guess a FI 408, or NA for that matter, sitting at idle would have some serious difficulty idling where it would pass emissions. I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to get that tune dialed in. A large cam would just make it that more harder. Assuming it is with a sniffer.

I could be wrong. Not even sure of all of the parameters they check.

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure he couldn't pass smog with the right cam and a good tune. You'd have to stay on the small side, perhaps 218/222 or 220/224 on a 116, but with a baby cam like that you could run the stock converter and have lots of torque right off idle. Your powerband would be 1500-6000 or so.

The tune will be key. You'd be one of the first to try and get a 408 to pass smog that I know of. Maybe you should post this at LS1Tech as well and get their input. There is a significant CA contingent over there.

What kind of F/I are you thinking about? Have you thought about a forged 370 instead of a 408? That would be easier to get past the smog cops.

i have a vortech s trim, i was thinking of the 370 but a 408 isnt much more money and its going to give me more power. i plan on eventually using the t trim blower so thats another smog problem, i already have a 213/219 cam in it right now.

i have a vortech s trim, i was thinking of the 370 but a 408 isnt much more money and its going to give me more power. i plan on eventually using the t trim blower so thats another smog problem, i already have a 213/219 cam in it right now.

I don't know dude, you don't get smogged until 5 years after your first registration....why don't you just pull the stock long block and stick in the garage for (1) when you sell the truck, or (2) smog comes up, whichever comes first. :smash:

I don't know dude, you don't get smogged until 5 years after your first registration....why don't you just pull the stock long block and stick in the garage for (1) when you sell the truck, or (2) smog comes up, whichever comes first. :smash:

Been there, done that; I and a bunch of friends in CA kept a beater 305-SBC smog mule for just that purpose. That poor little engine was the villiage bicycle, we had it in a couple trucks, several f-bodies, and an A-body. It was a pita to take basically an entire week every year for annual CA inspection (to swap in the motor, get it smogged, and swap back out) but we did it! Rule was that whoever used it changed the oil (not a problem as almost everyone needed a different oil pan) and you took your car to the valley to get it inspected. Then our plan hit a snag when one of the buddies borrowed the 305 for his Camaro all winter; we finally figured out that he had actually blown the top-end of his 396 and could not afford to fix or replace it with a motor of his own, and was using the small chevy in his car to get to/from work... that caused some hard feelings in the group :(

Mr. P. :)

Been there, done that; I and a bunch of friends in CA kept a beater 305-SBC smog mule for just that purpose. That poor little engine was the villiage bicycle, we had it in a couple trucks, several f-bodies, and an A-body. It was a pita to take basically an entire week every year for annual CA inspection (to swap in the motor, get it smogged, and swap back out) but we did it! Rule was that whoever used it changed the oil (not a problem as almost everyone needed a different oil pan) and you took your car to the valley to get it inspected. Then our plan hit a snag when one of the buddies borrowed the 305 for his Camaro all winter; we finally figured out that he had actually blown the top-end of his 396 and could not afford to fix or replace it with a motor of his own, and was using the small chevy in his car to get to/from work... that caused some hard feelings in the group :(

Mr. P. :)

Village bicycle....that's funny....back when CA had smog every year I take it. Not so anymore. Buy a new vehicle and it's 5 years before you need a smog, and every other year after that.

Re: Futral....when I called him for a cam, he gave me a rec, then I called Cam Motion directly for their rec, and got the exact same specs. I thought that was mighty interesting. :P

I'd recomend looking into the Thunder Racing Cheater cam. There are a few others I'm sure I could come up with off hand, but You're going to want a cam that's good to about 6k or so and peaks around 5500 or so.

Archived