Problem with Heating System

Andy03SS

An odd problem has appeared, the vent for heat/ac is getting stuck open for heat on the passenger side. If I put on some heat in the morning, and then later lower the temp to cold for some fresh air I'm still getting heat out of the passenger vents. Luckily the driver's vents are working ok. Once the engine is shut off the vent flap appears to be corrected and cool air will blow out the passenger vent.

I don't have climate control, just two temp sliders for driver and passenger. Anyone else run across this problem ? :confused:

I hate to have the service guys tear into the dash to fix it...

Andy03SS

I have a 1991 Silverado that did something similar. It was a heater box plenum actuator. Didn't cost but 47.00 for the part, but took the shop almost an hour to install it, making it a 120.00 repair! It's bolted to the air ducting plenum right next to the firewall up under the dash. Very tough to reach. When it went out, the vaccum would try to close the valve, but the electric part of it would try to open it. Resulting in a constant tapping noise of the valve shutting :fume: Talk about Chinese water torture!

Archived