What do you all think

kaotik1

As some of you know, I had been thinking of coating my stock wheels. This is the color I have come up with. Not sure if it's what I really want. What do you think?

467167_14_full.jpg

That is the color that I was shooting for when I had my wheels done. Mine tend to look kinda green, but they do appear different colors when light hits them at different angles. I was originally going to do black chrome but the finish is not durable enough for wheels. The powder coating on my wheels are called translucent black.

Trans black is black chrome, and that is why it looks green. The process is a coat of chrome then you lay a diluted black over the chrome. If the coating is light, you get green tint.. This means there should be a second coat applied. I know this is the color I have on my grill, and this color I have on my beater car for the wheels. I will get a picture later today of them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As some of you know, I had been thinking of coating my stock wheels. This is the color I have come up with. Not sure if it's what I really want. What do you think?

That is the color that I was shooting for when I had my wheels done. Mine tend to look kinda green, but they do appear different colors when light hits them at different angles. I was originally going to do black chrome but the finish is not durable enough for wheels. The powder coating on my wheels are called translucent black.

Trans black is black chrome, and that is why it looks green. The process is a coat of chrome then you lay a diluted black over the chrome. If the coating is light, you get green tint.. This means there should be a second coat applied. I know this is the color I have on my grill, and this color I have on my beater car for the wheels. I will get a picture later today of them.

My wheels are NOT black chrome, they are powdercoated. I should know, I had them done. You can not add additional coats of powdercoat. The wheel below is black chrome. These wheels are the whole reason I wanted to get black chrome wheels to begin with. American Racing doesn't even sell these wheels anymore because they were having so many problems with customer complaints because they would scratch so easy. When they would scratch, the scratches would be gold. I found this out directly from the company that used to black chrome plate American Racings wheels.

I'm not denying that you have black chrome on your grill or on the wheels of your beater car, I just know that I do not.

GC652%20Z50%20Black%20Chrome%20Covette%20Logo.jpg

I work for a powdercoating company. You do have trans black yes, it is commmonly known as black chrome. That is all I was saying. That is the color I used on my wheels, and what the color was labled as from Dry-loc. No harm man! :thumbs:

So here they are, the new color against the stock color as requested. I also did a mock to see what it would look like on the truck.

I really do like the color of those...............They would look good on a red truck also............. :thumbs:

Archived