Racing Old School

06VHO

Woulda loved to race you (no bottle) in my work truck, it was similar in performance, but a wee bit more disguised.... AS A DAILY DRIVEN WORK TRUCK.

:lol:

SuperTruckside.JPG

OH-NO YOU DI'INT !!!!! :devil:

Are you callin' me out? :crackup:

Don't make me bring out the real sleeper, LOL. :jester:

And yes, I am the slim guy with the white t-shirt in the driver's seat, no really.

That big kid sure makes that Toyota 4x4 look small though.

POP QUIZ: What year, make and model is my little gem? For extra credit, what engine, transmission and rear end does it have?

Sorry about the bad pics. They are old proofs that I just scanned.

corwhat10gr.jpg

corwhat29lw.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POP QUIZ: What year, make and model is my little gem? For extra credit, what engine, transmission and rear end does it have?

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza

engine: unknown

trans: unknown

rearend: taking a geuss Ford 9" :dunno:

ok, so....how'd I do??

~Brian :thumbs:

btw...I'm not very good with Corvairs :ughdance:

Can't see the hood or if the front panel is concave or convex, so I guess it's hard to narrow down- 1960 to 1964 shell, the badges seem like Monza and no Spyder trim...?

I'll have to guess the driveline... 468, T400 (T350 if you went for reciprocating mass) and a Ferd 9" with a 4.10 war case. :lol:

Howd I do?

Howd I do?

-ACTUALLY, I would think a Powerglide, looking at the power/weight ratio....

Edited by CrAzYMoPaRGuY (see edit history)

Are you callin' me out?   :crackup:

Haha!!!!!!!! I would have! Hard to do when we both sold our trucks though... :lol:

Love the Corvair!!!!!! What year are those pics?

What's your sleeper? Or is it the Corvair?

The pics are from about 1999-2000 and yes, my corvair is the sleeper I was talking about,

What are you trying to say? :jester:

As you probably know, the hood is still there, and the engine is in the trunk.

I'd like to hear some more guesses. I will spill the beans in the near future.

What are you trying to say?  :jester:

"What am I trying to say"?

:lol:

I guess I'm trying to say we have different definitions of the word "SLEEPER"...?

;)

You know I'm Kidding,............ Don't you? :banghead:

Well, considering there is no "Corvair" in your sig, I would think.... mmmmmm... maybe...?

:jester:

Well, considering there is no "Corvair" in your sig, I would think.... mmmmmm... maybe...?

The only vehicles in my sig, are the vehicles I've had since I joined this site. I sold my Corvair over a year ago and my Grand National over two years ago, so I don't include them in my sig. I've owned close to 40-vehicles and most of them were not your average car. I only have 5-vehicles right now. I used to average 10+vehicles at a time, Insurance & Registration are a killer though. Somehow when I saw that pic of your old truck, it made me think of my old Corvair, so I thought since this thread topic is "Racing Old School", I would post a pic of that 2200lb big block car. :chevy:

The only vehicles in my sig, are the vehicles I've had since I joined this site. I sold my Corvair over a year ago and my Grand National over two years ago, so I don't include them in my sig. I've owned close to 40-vehicles and most of them were not your average car. I only have 5-vehicles right now. I used to average 10+vehicles at a time, Insurance & Registration are a killer though. Somehow when I saw that pic of your old truck, it made me think of my old Corvair, so I thought since this thread topic is "Racing Old School", I would post a pic of that 2200lb big block car. :chevy:

Sounds like me- I've had over a hundred "not average" cars easily. I've sold half a dozen of them during the last few years to finance my Coupe.

I just sold my Pro Street 1968 Barracuda formula S 340 4 speed a couple months ago. To finance my TRANSMISSION! Sad, but true!

I had a black Cordoba LS that went high 12s, the weird parts was MANY people thought it was a Grand National. Including TWO different Grand National owners... :lol: I got Grand National car models for Christmas present from co-workers. Odd, but true. :dunno:

Did you ever get a decent time for that Corvair? What track did you run it at?

My daily driver from 1991 until 2000 was this Demon.... my Chickee used to go grocery shopping in it.

I drove it in the snow during the winter.

Demoncanam.jpg

Did you ever get a decent time for that Corvair? What track did you run it at?

I took it to a Run-Watcha-Brung at the local airport, which is where the picture was taken. I made the Quick-8 there running in the 7's in the 1/8th. No one could really hook there, it was a temporary track (airport parking lot). I tried to take it to a real track, but they laughed at me and said "bring it back after you install a roll cage". I built it as a Pro Street Cruiser and had no intentions of putting a roll cage in it. It was a fun cruiser though, lots of attention.

Do you still own the Vega, or the Camaro?

Yes and Yes, my sig is current.

My 1968 Camaro SS has more left, but like my Corvair, It wont be getting a roll bar. Since NHRA requires a roll bar if you go quicker than 11.50's, I just let it short shift in Drive at 5,000 rpm.

My 1975 Vega has more left as well, but the class I race in is a 10.60 Index class. I have only pushed the car on two different occasions, it easily ran in the 9's both times with a conservative tune. I would like to run it hard some day and see how much it has left, but I would need to get my chassis certification updated as well as my competition license. There just isn't much point though, because of the class I run in.