Installing aftermarket head unit

So, I'm going to be installing a new alpine deck, CDA-9856, and I want to keep my steering wheel controls. I think that I found the interface that I need to use it. It's PAC SWI-ALP. The problem is that I e-mailed PAC and told them what I was doing and they told me to use the universal interface. Which should I use? Anybody installed one of these before? How hard are they to use/install?

Also, what size are the front door speakers? 6 1/2"'s? I know the rear speakers are 4/6"'s. If they are 6 1/2's in the front I'm thinking of getting something like these: Polk Audio. What do you guys think?

So, I'm going to be installing a new alpine deck, CDA-9856, and I want to keep my steering wheel controls. I think that I found the interface that I need to use it. It's PAC SWI-ALP. The problem is that I e-mailed PAC and told them what I was doing and they told me to use the universal interface. Which should I use? Anybody installed one of these before? How hard are they to use/install?

Also, what size are the front door speakers? 6 1/2"'s? I know the rear speakers are 4/6"'s. If they are 6 1/2's in the front I'm thinking of getting something like these: Polk Audio. What do you guys think?

As long as the head unit your buying supports it, get the SWI-ALP.

The other one is a universal IR Repeater. In other words it's not directly interfacing with the Head Unit. Instead it's taking the wire leads from your steering wheel controls, and turning them into an infared signal that then controls your head unit like a remote control does. There is a delay from the time you hit the button to the time it actually responds as oppsed to instant response you enjoy with the factory setup.

The SWI-ALP does not use an IR repeater. One end plugs into your steering wheel control harness, and the other end plugs directly into the Head Unit. Instant response like factory, and a much - much cleaner install.

Just make sure the Head Unit you get supports the SWI-ALP. If your unsure, call Crutchfield or Alpine.

Has anyone done this with a pioneer unit and kept the xm radio? I hate to Hijack the thread but I am also considering this but I want to keep my steeringwheel controls also

PAC makes a similar interface box for Pioneer units as well. I'm going to pick up a AVIC-D2 Double-DIN nav unit in the fall and will be purchasing the PAC unit with it. Pioneer's upper end supports XM and Sirius, and you should be able to use your factory XM antenna with it.

I just finished the install of this and I used the exact same interface SWI-ALP. The only thing with it is that I tried like hell to program the up and down for the tracks on my iPod and it still doesn't work. It doesn't work with a CD either. :dunno: From what I have been told, the interface is working like it's supposed to. I guess it can't control certain features. The weird thing is that when I hit the up and down button for the track, I see that the HU is getting a signal because a red light illuminates on the HU. Another thing I was told is that the older interface which acts like a remote WILL control those features I can't.

As for changing out those speakers, I would change out what you are going to change out first and see how you like the sound of it with the factory Bose speakers first. I have ZERO complaints on the sound of those speakers and I'm running a 5.1 Dolby surround sound channel theater amp to the stockers. I know I can get better sound from some aftermarket speakers, but it sounds good enough for me. :thumbs:

So I got an e-mail back form PAC, when I asked them if the SWI-ALP would work with the CDA-9856 and they said it will NOT work. So if you guys are planning on installing an aftermarket deck and you're going to use one of these steering wheel interfaces, make sure you call them and check if they're compatable.... They recomended the SWI-X (I think that's the model number) which is the universal interface for me.

• 4 weeks later...

So, just to update this.... I am installing the CDA 9857 instead and the SWI-ALP will work with that deck. Then I was looking on the PAC website and I found a "Door Lock Interface". The model number is DLI-GMJ.... Does anyone know what this does? :dunno: They do recomend it for our trucks.... Here's the link to the page I was looking at...PAC Silverado Accessories

Also, I do need to install C2R-GM2 to keep the factory chimes, right? (I don't have On Star or XM) Either that or I have to relocate the stock deck?

Sounds like you have done your research. you are right in the respect of the steering wheel controls. also if you go with the Polk speakers, which I love by the way, teh 6.5 oversize are the ones you want, the make 2 different 6.5's make sure to get the oversize. You will be completely happy with Polk speakers. let us know what you decide. as for the door lock interface, that is for alarms and starters. and you will need the other 2 parts that youmentioned to put in the radio, on the chime module I highly recomend putting piece of tape over the hole for the speaker on it, its really loud.! good luck

Sounds like you have done your research. you are right in the respect of the steering wheel controls. also if you go with the Polk speakers, which I love by the way, teh 6.5 oversize are the ones you want, the make 2 different 6.5's make sure to get the oversize. You will be completely happy with Polk speakers. let us know what you decide. as for the door lock interface, that is for alarms and starters. and you will need the other 2 parts that youmentioned to put in the radio, on the chime module I highly recomend putting piece of tape over the hole for the speaker on it, its really loud.! good luck

Thanks! :thumbs: