Upgrade in a STS turbo

I'm pretty sure i will go with the STS turbo special from TBYRNE. As i read in the forums before it seems like the GT-67 is the right upgrade for the SS :D

What do you guys think about that? I plan on doing the install myself except the welding... The truck is a daily driver :driving:

Any testimonial would be appreciated. :P

Simon

Just the turbo for now and a tune to go along with. Do i really need those at the same time or can it wait a little bit? I will most likely put a zippy kit at the same time... :thumbs:

Just the turbo for now and a tune to go along with. Do i really need those at the same time or can it wait a little bit? I will most likely put a zippy kit at the same time...  :thumbs:

you dont have to, but if you are going to tune the truck you might as well do it all at once. unless of course you have your own tuning software then you can do it in peices, but i think you will run into some issues depending on the amount of boost you are going to make.

i would really recommend at least changing your fuel pump at least.

what else are you upgrading? ie, fuel injectors, fuel pumps, etc...

:withstupid:

the sts and SSS is not what the kit was designed. The bigger turbo is necessary. yOu need to keep good fuel pressure.

YOu will need to give your trans a look'e

a kit and converter whould be best

The turbo is only the first step in upgrades...the others are the fine details that keep your truck a DD (daily Driver)

Just me, but if I was already upgrading the turbo then I wouldn't want to hold off on doing the things necessary to make it work right and my engine to live through it. If I was going to go with the standard turbo, forget which one that is, then maybe I would wait, but only if funds kept me from completing.

Error to the side of caution and do the necessary upgrades to your stock fueling system to better accomodate your upgraded STS system.

Just me, but if I was already upgrading the turbo then I wouldn't want to hold off on doing the things necessary to make it work right and my engine to live through it.  If I was going to go with the standard turbo, forget which one that is, then maybe I would wait, but only if funds kept me from completing.

Error to the side of caution and do the necessary upgrades to your stock fueling system to better accomodate your upgraded STS system.

:withstupid:

It is the heat exchanger to the barrel intercooler that i run inline with the intake pipes. The system holds nearly two gallons of coolant. I just removed the pipe that goes under the passenger door, and the intercooler fit perfictly there. According to PWR, it is rated at 600 hp, so it should do well as it sits.

Intercooler

:thumbs:

It is the heat exchanger to the barrel intercooler that i run inline with the intake pipes.  The system holds nearly two gallons of coolant.  I just removed the pipe that goes under the passenger door, and the intercooler fit perfictly there.  According to PWR, it is rated at 600 hp, so it should do well as it sits.

Intercooler

:thumbs:

thats nice, and not too expensive.

Whooa  nice setup :cool:

It says it drop the intake pressure from 1.1 psi is that true?

The presure drop is true, before the intercooler i was boosting ~7.5 pounds of boost. After the intercooler i could only do 6 pounds. Fortunatly for us turbo guys, i just had to turn up the wick on the boost controler and got my boost back. But the cooler intake charge makes good power so i just turn it up at the track, and keep it low in on the street. As far as turbo delay, full boost comes in at 3k rpms, so i didnt loose any delay or gained any turbo lag.

I got it cheaper than the advertised price by a few hundred dollars. :cool:

The only thing missing from my kit was the coolant hoses from the intercooler to the heat exchanger, and thats because when i bought the "kit" there was no kit yet. The shop gave me all the needed hardware minus the hoses. BTW, this is the company that is building the front mount ATA intercoolers for STS. When i was there, they had the first finished intercooler for the chevy/gmc trucks ready to ship back to STS.

:cheers: You had quite a luck there. How much boost were you running before the intercooler was installed. I'm thinking of getting the gt-67 but i will be running it without a cooler for a while. Just ordered my Zippy kit today! :pop: trtturbo.com has some very nice options for us. And according to his website he's got a custom FMIC coming soon. What kind of setup are you running?

:cheers: You had quite a luck there. How much boost were you running before the intercooler was installed. I'm thinking of getting the gt-67 but i will be running it without a cooler for a while. Just ordered my Zippy kit today!  :pop:  trtturbo.com has some very nice options for us. And according to his website he's got a custom FMIC coming soon. What kind of setup are you running?

What do you mean :dunno: , as far as set up, i'm running the gt-67. Is that what you where asking.

Archived