dealership service

sswolfpac

well guys i got my tires put on and went in for an oil change and an aligment. the lady at the dealership calls and says i need the front diff rear diff and transfer case serviced. they also said that i need a tranny flush, i just wanted my oil change and aligment but she said i really need the other things done , well anyway i didnt have enough for the tranny flush but eveything else came out to 550.75. does any one else dealership do this or am igetting taken foe a ride, i always take good care of any of my cars but xtra on the ss, i think this is crazy but if it really needed it im not mad to do it, :banghead:

welcome to the world of dealerships, the woman that tried to get you to buy the stuff is called a service writer they get paid commision off the stuff they sell you. so she is just doing her job, when i worked @ chevy we would inspect every vehicle for stuff that neede to be service and would look in your vehicle history and see what you haven had done in a while. so if you need a trans /diff service. you may actually need one but i would not pay the dealership price to have it done, take it to someone you trust or do it your self.

:banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead: i figured that was the way it is :banghead:  :banghead: boy do i feel stupid

Hey, don't feel stupid. This stuff happens EVERY day. Rarely have I ever taken my truck in for service, and end up walking out the door with less money than I planned on spending.

I've started to do many of my service items right here in my garage. I changed my oil last night, for instance. I don't do it often, but I'm going to start. Any time I've ever taken my vehicle in, it usually has grease or oil on the venders, or oil spilling on the exhaust, (due to lack of clean up.) etc.

And, there is a certain satisfaction in doing a job like this at home. Not necessarily the money you save, but knowing it was done correctly. Another good example of this: The dealership must put the oil filter on with an impact wrench. :D I had to physically destroy the thing to get it off.

Well, coming from a dealership and a family of dealerships, I must say that not everone does this. But some of the big dealerships do this everyday, like someone else said, they get paid for talking you into this and that. It's just like when you buy a car and go into the F&I office and they try to sell you undercoating, scotch-guarding, etc, etc. They are just trying to charge you for the lack of knowledge/caring. Now that being said, just be careful and remember that not everyone does this, atleast we do not! :chevy:

welcome to the world of dealerships, the woman that tried to get you to buy the stuff is called a  service writer they get paid commision off the stuff they sell you. so she is just doing her job, when i worked @ chevy we would inspect every vehicle for stuff that neede to be service and would look in your vehicle history and see what you haven had done in a while. so if you need a trans /diff service. you may actually need one but i would not pay the dealership price to have it done, take it to someone you trust or do it your self.

There is a benefit letting the dealer service your vehicle

1. If you have service performed at the regular intervals you will have a better chance getting a repair covered that is out of warranty. as for right now GM is wanting to take care of their customers, if a issue arises with the customers vehicle

you will have a better chance than if you have your vehicle serviced at Jiffy lube and then roll in to the dealership and want help with a out of warranty GOODWILL

on your vehicle 04CHASE is right it's better and cheaper to do it yourself and just keep the reciepts for the parts and keep a log on what was performed.

2. Most dealership have Trained technicians (the good ones) that know the right way to perform the repairs or maintenance , they also have Bulletins and other information that they may be able to catch when performing the Inspection

04CHASE was talking about and perfrom at no charge.

3.When needing service comparing prices is not always the best thing to do , as we all know we get what we pay for and the indenpendent is not always cheaper.

i.e when was the last time you have seen or known somebody that got a $69.00 brake job ???? usually not , it seems these low ball prices turn into calipers,brake hoses,caliper slides ,rotors,master cylinder, brake flush to the tune of $1300.00

for a $130.00 brake job . I have only seen a handfull of vehicles needing their calipers replaced in 20 years as a Dealership employee like 04CHASE stated the Service writer is only doing her job in trying to protect your 2nd most expensive investment your automobile.

I don't think feeling that I would have a better chance of getting things covered outside my warranty would make me want to take my truck into the dealership to pay their incredibly high prices. Fluid changes are the easiest thing to do yourself and like someone else said, it's the piece of mind knowing it was done right that makes part of it worth it to do on your own.

Not sure how much outside the warranty a dealership may be willing to go to help you out and some dealerships are very by the book and will not budge. Of course you wouldn't know that until you had a problem once outside the warranty and already paid thousands of dollars at that point in simple do-it-yourself maintenance.

I'd take my chances. Every vehicle I've ever owned lasted way beyond the normal warranty period before any problems started to show. Not the case for everyone, of course.

Just my opinion. If the dealerships would show some sort of loyalty to the owners and give decent prices, then maybe I would consider.

Archived