What is the cheapest (free) way to

detjoe

I have looked but have not found a place that gives a program for my laptop to just log stuff to show a tuner? I know I could spend some buck$$$$ but with this internet thing I was hoping to find a cheaper solution and just get the cable made :confused:

thanks

I believe that most logging software, the cables are ID'd to match the programing. Therefor you would not be able to get software, then pick up a cable. Also HPT will not sell just a cable, as far as I know.

There is no such thing as a free way to log. Even with the internet if you could get the software, the cable would still cost you quite a bit. EASE probably makes the cheapest logger, or AUTOTAP maybe. Both of those would still be in the $150 range. My offer still stands.

I didn't realize it until after I finally got the software myself, but logging software is THE most important tool you can buy for your truck. I have preached this on here many, many times.

It is no big deal not having for a few simple boltons to have to change the tune. Logging won't change the tune, but may give an indication it has become necessary to do so. Where it starts getting important is when the stock PCM has been changed. Via a handheld not necessary, for the tune is fairly generic and only increases the hp a minimal amount. With a custom tune, in most cases, every little bit of power is trying to be squeezed out of the motor. At that point it becomes important that the squeezing hasn't turned into the point where a change is necessary.

I'll give you my example of something that is going on with my truck. I have tuned my truck in stages I guess you can say. For the most part, I have have hit the tuning for a few days, get it where it likes it, then leave it alone. I did this back in SEP'05 to get my truck to idle good and bump the power and mostly just have manners while towing my boat. I left it that way until MAR'06. It was then that I got headers on and changed out my exhaust quite a bit and also the time that I wanted to try and start maximizing my power. I got it after many runs where it ran exceptionally well. I have made a few tune changes to get fueling where it needs to be since then, experimenting with injector offsets, and getting my VE tables correct for not only on the street, but also when I tow - a medium so to speak, but nothing more. Anyway, getting to the current point, I just started getting some KR during WOT (not towing) and would have not noiticed that I was getting lean during WOT and causing my KR had I not had some type of logging capability. I noticed this using the aeroforce gauge. It pushed me to my laptop and a full look at everything going on. I made the changes to the tune where it needed them, although I haven't been able to get to the why yet - getting a new fuel pressure gauge in first, it is back where it needs to be.

If someone else had been doing my tuning he would have been doing the tuning changes. I was getting 8* of KR. Definitely enough to potentially cause damage.

So I guess you can cheap out and hopefully find something that works - not specifically just detjoe, but everyone on here, or you can get the right tools necessary to keep your motor safe. What kills me the most is that dollars is not always the stopping point for the mods wanted, ie blower, headers, TC, etc..but where it matters the most - logging.

I'll step down off of my soapbox now. :happysad:

I have EFILive Flashscan tuning, which also has logging. I also use to minitor things I choose with the aeroforce gauge. The gauge is good to show potential things and I change what I'm looking at all the time. If it shows problems, then I pull out the laptop to monitor everything at once.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben,

Obviously the EFILive is a bit more expensive ($699 w/2 PCM licences) than having someone reprogram your PCM ($100-200). Is the EFILive system relatively simple to use for a non-Digital Native (over 40 or should I say Digital Imigrent) guy like myself?!?! I know that's a difficult question to answer....you don't know how computer illiterate I really am....but my point is for a guy like me that has added a Corsa & CAI and isn't in to a lot of "other" mods, uses his truck for towing & kicking some Honda butt now and then....should we simply invest in a PCM mod, buy a handheld or go all out and spend $700 for the EFILive FlashScan Personal system?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom on this subject!

Edited by VMaxDenali (see edit history)

Ben,

Obviously the EFILive is a bit more expensive ($699 w/2 PCM licences) than having someone reprogram your PCM ($100-200).  Is the EFILive system relatively simple to use for a non-Digital Native (over 40 or should I say Digital Imigrent) guy like myself?!?!  I know that's a difficult question to answer....you don't know how computer illiterate I really am....but my point is for a guy like me that has added a Corsa & CAI and isn't in to a lot of "other" mods, uses his truck for towing & kicking some Honda butt now and then....should we simply invest in a PCM mod, buy a handheld or go all out and spend $700 for the EFILive FlashScan Personal system?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom on this subject!

Tuning may not be a monster you want to tackle. As far as using the program, I would say that if you can use bulletin boards such as this one with no problems, then you can probably handle the program. May be a little above that, but not much. It's not using the program that takes at least some basic knowledge, it's understanding what happens when you make the changes. I'm in that 40 crowd also - so an old dog can learn new things if you really want to.

I think my point may be in this thread, if I remember what it was started for, is that the more you invest in your engine to perform like you want it to, one of those things along the way to get wherever you're going with it, should be some type of way to see how the engine is performing to the things you have done to it. Simple bolt-ons you can get away without doing it, probably. But if you get a tuner to max you out on power, unless he has personally laid hands on your vehicle, then without some way of looking at some data points, you have no clue, nor does the tuner, how the vehicle is performing to the changes made. Not having that data for vehicles with a FI system, thousands of dollars in cost, is just asking to loose those thousands of dollars. I believe there are a couple of casualties on here right now that know exactly what I'm referring to. Just an ounce of prevention.....

Ben

Here is a question for you...I am fairly new to the tuning concept, as far as tuning a computer for these trucks. This is my second truck with a mail order tune from one of the "major" tuners out there. I have a 91 octane tune now. It did make a difference in how the truck runs, for the better. But the more that I read on here, the more Im interested in learning what KR is, what is normal, what is not, what is best, and all the other important information...

With only the tune on my truck, running at a 1/8th mile track I ran a best of 9.70. Im thinking the truck can run better than that, but moreso, Im concerned what exactly is happening to the engine with a tune like that??

So I guess my question is, where can a person learn what all the paramaters are in tuning, so we understand what is REALLY going on in the engine. I mean, if someone said "your KR should never reach "??" reading on your tune, and this is why, that is what im looking for, and probably a good amount of people on here ??

Am I totally in the dark, or just another one of those looking to learn and not knowing where to go :confused:

EDIT: Sorry if I hijacked this post, but I thought this may be a good place to throw this in :D

Edited by EmergencyVP1 (see edit history)

Ben

Here is a question for you...I am fairly new to the tuning concept, as far as tuning a computer for these trucks. This is my second truck with a mail order tune from one of the "major" tuners out there. I have a 91 octane tune now. It did make a difference in how the truck runs, for the better. But the more that I read on here, the more Im interested in learning what KR is, what is normal, what is not, what is best, and all the other important information...

With only the tune on my truck, running at a 1/8th mile track I ran a best of 9.70. Im thinking the truck can run better than that, but moreso, Im concerned what exactly is happening to the engine with a tune like that??

So I guess my question is, where can a person learn what all the paramaters are in tuning, so we understand what is REALLY going on in the engine. I mean, if someone said "your KR should never reach "??" reading on your tune, and this is why, that is what im looking for, and probably a good amount of people on here ??

Am I totally in the dark, or just another one of those looking to learn and not knowing where to go  :confused:

EDIT: Sorry if I hijacked this post, but I thought this may be a good place to throw this in  :D

Any info you needed you could get here. You could even send logs to people on here for them to read and help diagnose if anything is going wrong - just don't leave your tuner out of that picture. Sending those same logs to him will help him to determine what to adjust. Unless of course, you plan to go to full tune and log route. Each of the main softwares out there have excellent forums that people can help you learn.

EFILive will sell you just the logging part that can be upgrade later to tune capability. Not sure if HPT offers that.

• 2 months later...
I have offered my EFILive scanning only on here numerous times.  $125 and it's yours.

Hey Ben, Do you still have the scanning software for sale? I plan on starting some mods and a buddy has the full program but he is an hour away, making it hard to log. Thanks, Kurt