How to Wire up subs

I had a quick and prob easy question but just wanted to get input on it. I am about to install my ARC audio subs which are each dual 4 ohm subs, just waiting on the box. The amp that i will be using is a Cadence Z9000 which puts out the power like this.

4 Ohm Stereo Power-- 2 x 300 Watts

2 Ohm Stereo Power-- 2 x 400 Watts

4 Ohm Bridged Power-- 1 x 800 Watts

Now should I wire the subs in series then parrallel them to get a 4ohm load and run it at bridged power or should I just run each sub parrallel into a 2ohm load and hook into each channel? Its been a while with car audio so i could just be completely off to begin with. :confused:

I had a quick and prob easy question but just wanted to get input on it. I am about to install my ARC audio subs which are each dual 4 ohm subs, just waiting on the box. The amp that i will be using is a Cadence Z9000 which puts out the power like this.

Now should I wire the subs in series then parrallel them to get a 4ohm load and run it at bridged power or should I just run each sub parrallel into a 2ohm load and hook into each channel? Its been a while with car audio so i could just be completely off to begin with. :confused:

:D

The two wiring schemes that you suggest will give you the same power for each sub, 200W. This means that theoretically both configurations should sound the same.

Back in the day I had a Fosgate Punch amp and 2 12" 4 ohm DVC's. I tried both configurations that you suggest and for some weird reason running both channels at 2 ohms was louder (at least it seemed that way to me). Try both and see what you like the best even though they should be the same.

The two wiring schemes that you suggest will give you the same power for each sub, 200W. This means that theoretically both configurations should sound the same.

Back in the day I had a Fosgate Punch amp and 2 12" 4 ohm DVC's. I tried both configurations that you suggest and for some weird reason running both channels at 2 ohms was louder (at least it seemed that way to me). Try both and see what you like the best even though they should be the same.

If i wired each sub to 2ohm and put one on each channel wouldnt i be getting 400wrms to each sub?

Anyhow I was told to bridge it because I would have more leeway with the gain :dunno:

Edited by fox_forma (see edit history)

If i wired each sub to 2ohm and put one on each channel wouldnt i be getting 400wrms to each sub?

Anyhow I was told to bridge it because I would have more leeway with the gain :dunno:

Sorry, you're right. You would get 400W to each sub, I meant to say 200W to each voicecoil in either configuration.

I'm not sure about the gain statement. Unless your amplifier has a separate gain control for each channel, it really shouldn't matter which configuration you choose. If you want to understand all of this theory better (exactly what happens when you bridge an amplifier) I can make some diagrams and post them. Just let me know.

nah i got the general idea of everything, just wasnt sure if it would made much of a difference if I bridged it or just wired it for each channel instead. I guess i will see what happens when time comes, i guess i was thinking a reliability type thing or something

Edited by fox_forma (see edit history)

I just skimmed and did not spend time reading all of it but yes there is a correct way and a wrong way to wire. the problem you will get if you do it wrong is phasing

stay with the higest impedance untill your final wireing and then that is when you lower impediance. ie do not go into 1ohm and then back up to 2ohm. insted you should go 4ohm and then back down do 2 ohm. yes there is a differance, no there is a differance in total load.

yes the differance is in how you get to your total load. just because the final total load is the same dosen't mean that they are the same.

see my write up in the sticky "What U Got" in the top of the stereo forum.

I just skimmed and did not spend time reading all of it but yes there is a correct way and a wrong way to wire.  the problem you will get if you do it wrong is phasing

stay with the higest impedance untill your final wireing and then that is when you lower impediance.  ie do not go into 1ohm and then back up to 2ohm.  insted you should go 4ohm and then back down do 2 ohm.  yes there is a differance, no there is a differance in total load.

yes the differance is in how you get to your total load.  just because the final total load is the same dosen't mean that they are the same.

see my write up in the sticky "What U Got" in the top of the stereo forum.

I know what your saying but I was just curious if I should wire at the 4 ohm to bridge it or wire each sub to 2ohm seperately and use each channel. I'm prob just going to stick with the 4ohm load bridged anyhow