Charging problems....

s-cam

I have an 03 sss and for the most part it has been working ok. A few months back I had a hard starting problem that was misdiagnosed as an electrical problem but injectors fixed it(6 out of 8 dripped) Anyways during that time the alternator was replaced because the factory one seemed weak-not charging at idle. During this time I have had a problem with the battery going dead rapidly but only periodically-like good for 3 weeks then dead 3 or 4 times in a row. It would discharge in approx an hour from full charge to dead. Thinking it was a bad cell i replaced the battery but it never fixed the problem-heck i even replaced it again just for good measure so 3 batteries and still the problem. yesterday I was using the truck and the battery not charging came across the dash so I figued that the alt was no good-I put a volt meter on the batt and yes no charging. So tonite I put on a new alt, charged the battery and figured the problem was solved. i go and get gas a do some checking on some trailer wiring problems that i had ( no left signal in the truck plug which I did not find the problem) and I jump in the truck and the warning is across the dash again. This Alt worked for 20 min just fine and now it won't charge either. Its not an AC delco but a rebuilt alternator. So ya this truck is really getting me to my edge of my sanity :banghead: as its a stock truck with a remote starter in it and my daily driver and I can't trust it to go anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas as i dont think i can blame the failure of the 2nd alternator on the alternator...

Definately check to make sure you have 12 volts at the back of the alternator on the terminal with the large red wire. Also have the alternators tested bad at the parts store? Maybe something kooky like a bad or loose battery cable could be pos or neg. Just a couple of ideas.

Dave

I would guess a short somewhere.  Hard to find where usually.

Concerning the short the harness looks good-the only iffy thing is how many volts the starter pulls when you start it-it works great but even when a GM tech (in the past) has there tool hooked to the comp it will lose connection as it pulls lots of juice. All the grounds and connections were checked at that time and everything was fine.

the red wire is just the wire from the distribution block where the wire to the battery runs through? I have used an ohm meter and can verify that there is volts up to the rear of the alt on the sigle red wire on the post and that it does not charge when it is running.

Edited by s-cam (see edit history)

if the battery went dead in 20 min, then what ever is causeing it has to pulling a LOT

of amps. it should pop a fuse/breaker or catch fire....

try this, charge the batt., and put a volt meter on it and check for rapid drop in volts

disconnet the + on alt and check for changes, if it still dropping disconnect the ac commpressor clutch if nothing, disconnect your starter. the starter and alt are about the only things that can handle a lot of amps with out melting something........

good luck

:seeya:

it does not discharge all the time so its hit and miss when I can see it discharge at the rapid rate-I have been around the truck when it has done it and it makes no noise or anything like that-never thought to check the a/c clutch. I will monitor it and see if i can isolate the problem before i get so frusturated that I trade it off. Its a bad deal when you have to carry a spare battery and a set of cables everywhere you go.... :banghead: