Car salesman

orlando

ive thought about it too. if you know alot about vehicles it helps . but you cant be afraid to take peoples money and thats where i have a hard time. alot can be made but depending on where you work times can be rough!! and depends how the dealership works.

My wifes uncle was a car salesman for many years. A couple years before he died he started working the used car lot at a Chevy dealership. Said he should have done it 20 years earlier. That's where the money is according to him. Makes sense to me. The mark up on used cars is much higher than new which equals higher commisions. Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you do.

Its all about the hustle! My family owns several GM dealerships, I work as a salesman during the summer when I'm not at college. You just can not be afraid to talk to the customer or go the extra mile, etc. Need to be self motivated and not lazy, want the $$. Most dealerships hire salesman on commission only, some with that and a baseline salary. It all depends on the size of the dealership. Sales contests and GM contests are fun and the bonuses are nice!!

I thought about it myself, but I'm too honest. :crackup: Besides, I've worked in the back end (parts) for many years, and have seen many different type of sales people through the years. If you're a go getter in a good size dealer, you can make some bucks. What I've noticed over the years in this business are the successful ones are straight shooters, no BS, and follow through with the sale even well after the sale is made. You need to build a relationship with your customer to keep them coming back, and reffering friends, for future car/truck purchases. If you're that kind of person, then go for it. :thumbs:

P.S. Make friends with the people in the back end. (parts/service) They can help with accessories, building customer base/relations, ect.

P.S. Make friends with the people in the back end. (parts/service) They can help with accessories, building customer base/relations, ect.

That right there is good info! Having friends in the parts/service department will help you out when the customer comes in with problems after the sale. A good experience during a hard time at the service or parts desk will make or break a lifetime customer, no matter how good the sales experience was. :thumbs:

I've wanted to be a car salesman for a loooooooong time, and even offered to work at a Ford dealership for free on evenings/weekends to learn the ropes, but I just haven't found it in me to give up a steady paycheck. I know I would be good at it and would love it through the good times, but getting through the hard months would kill me... I suck at personal budgets... my motto... make more money = spend more money. :oops:

For me personally, the best car salesman isn't a salesman in any typical fashion like so many of them are... Most know nothing about cars except how to position their product ahead of the competition... Every time I walk on the lot ready to buy, I go talk to the highest up manager or owner and ask for "the car guy" on the lot and let them know that if they don't know their vehicles they will not get a sale from me. Before we even start talking about what I'm there to buy, I have to know what kind of car he/she drives, what they've done to it, how much HP it has/etc. Then we can talk about the cars on their lot... :cool:

It's all about being cheerful and nice, no matter how hateful the customer is. 99% think you are trying to take advantage of them as soon as you do the greet.

It's all about being on the lot, all the time, and not sitting in the office-and being right in place when a customer rolls in.

It's all about making the customer happy, no matter if you have to buy them lunch (if they are waiting for a credit/bank loan approval) or whatever, and getting them in the car they want for a reasonable (yet profitable for you and your store) price. And always do your best to make sure a customer does not leave the lot without meeting your sales manager. The longer you can get them to stay, the more chances are you will get a sale.

Some days will be a lot better than others. Some days you will wonder why you even got out of bed; example being the customer who had no intention of buying, and who you spent 4 or 5 hours working deals for him to only have him laugh at you and walk out. Other days you will sell one before 10 am, and that will get you fired up to sell 3 or 4 more by closing time.

If you are passionate about cars, and know a lot about cars, it helps. But thats only 1/2 the ball game.

Most of the bigger dealers like to hire guys who have no car sales experience...that way they don't have to 'break them' of another dealer's training. Previous sales experience and success in non-car related business is a big plus.

I knew I was going to sell cars when I was about 4 years old.

Its a fun business when it works, but it can get pretty 'cut-throat' if you are working for a large dealer.

I wish you the best with it :)

Edited by StealthSS (see edit history)