Steering shaft?

Jonmalibuss

EVO= (ELECTRONIC VARIABLE ORIFICE)

Now is that something in the pump or the box it self and do we have that or not?

The EVO vavle os on the back of the pump, where the pressure line attaches. From 97 on all full size trucks come with if I'm not mistaken. I checked out the AGR link, the gearboxs they listed were all for the old body style - 88/2002 and 92/2002, I know they still made the old body style till 01 in some applications (worked on a couple) and they do not interchange with the new body style truck that I am aware off.

The EVO vavle os on the back of the pump, where the pressure line attaches. From 97 on all full size trucks come with if I'm not mistaken. I checked out the AGR link, the gearboxs they listed were all for the old body style - 88/2002 and 92/2002, I know they still made the old body style till 01 in some applications (worked on a couple) and they do not interchange with the new body style truck that I am aware off.

That's correct, they are slightly different, but AGR tech maintains that they would build some for the newer trucks just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Here is yet another update. I still have the problem it has not gone away and I have rechecked everything front to back a few more times and still come to think the steering box is the issue. I deiced to call AGR and pick the tech's brain a bit... I explained the problem I am getting and told him that I changed the steering shaft and the problem got worse and told him what I found wrong with the box. He said wait this is a 1500 2wd? It has a rack not a box :crackup: I said ok let me start again lets say it's on an SS chassis but it's 2wd. He goes WTF ok... He then asked me if the box had an aluminum bolt on piece where the input shaft is. I said it sure does. He said ok well thats about the worst box that GM has ever made. I guess it's a 600 series box. AGR makes an 800 series box which actually has a smaller piston in it as SSbnoonSS mentioned. But they clain it will still be more powerful than the curent box. Also as SSbnoonSS stated the 12:1 box is the smallest piston they offer but they recommend the 14:1 because it will be less likely to want to wander or follow the road especially with larger tires. The build their boxes with two bearings on the input where the stock box has one and they use 3 bearing on the output where stock uses one. The box that AGR offers is a one piece housing and doesn't have the aluminum input housing. He pretty much stated the stock box was something that GM over engineered and didn't get right. He asked if I was running large tires I said well I have 22x10" wheels but the overall diameter is pretty much the same as stock and they are a bit wider. He said it's pretty comon for this box to have issues with getting loose. They can make the box with the same input as factory or a 3/4" 30 spline input. Also as SSbnoonSS stated they have two ifferent outputs one has 3 flats and one has 4 flats. I believe our trucks should have the 3 flats and the 12:1 is only offered with the 4 flats but you can just get an earlier pitman arm and replace it aswell.

When I get some extra $$$ I'm gonna order it with the 3/4" 30 spline so I can run a borgeson U joint and double D shaft up to the aftermarket borgeson shaft and eliminate the entire factory steering shaft and box which I am almost 100% positive will cure the problem.

Interesting Jon... I think I'm still going to go with the 12:1 with my 275/45/20 tires, being shorter and lighter than stock by a good margin... I know my wife's car does fine on her Mustang GT and 275 width front tires and her stock steering is fairly quick... Is our stock box a 16:1???? :dunno:

Also, you mention an "early" pitman arm for the 3 slot output shaft swap. What year range is considered early???

Interesting Jon... I think I'm still going to go with the 12:1 with my 275/45/20 tires, being shorter and lighter than stock by a good margin... I know my wife's car does fine on her Mustang GT and 275 width front tires and her stock steering is fairly quick... Is our stock box a 16:1????  :dunno:

Also, you mention an "early" pitman arm for the 3 slot output shaft swap. What year range is considered early???

I didn't ask what early was but I will probably order the box next week sometime. He stated our box should be a 14:1 ratio. I may go with the 12:1 as well.