Trailer lights

lsandberg

I pull a jetski trailer, and with my old car the trailer lights worked fine. With the SS, both tail lights flash at the same time for right turn and left turn. I hook back up to the car and works fine, so I know the trailer is wired properly. The trailer connection is the standard flat plug. The SS came with an adapter that takes the big round plug on the SS down to the flat plug that works with the trailer. Obviously this adapter is the wrong one, where can I get the correct adapter? I would hope I don't have to re-wire the trailer or something. Thanks

I own a U-Haul dealership....and I work with trailer wiring all the time.....

1st question: has the trailer ever been wired after the factory. All of the Silverado's that I have EVER hooked up with the 7 round to 4 flat connector have worked PERFECTLY.

What you may want to do is to get a spare battery and just check each wire on the harness.

Here is the proper connection (what color wires SHOULD go to what light):

White: Ground

Brown: Running

Yellow: Left Turn/Brake

Green: Right Turn/Brake

Like I said, I keep an old jumper box around, which I hook up to the trailer and test the lights (U-Haul trailers have their fair share of electrical problems....but that is another story). Check that, and let me know if you have any more problems!

Rob

...Like I said, I keep an old jumper box around, which I hook up to the trailer and test the lights (U-Haul trailers have their fair share of electrical problems....but that is another story)...

This is an excellent suggestion. I always double-check my trailer wiring with a jumper box and a buddy.

Before you go nuts rewiring, check your truck's trailer harness ground carefully. My uncle and I share a car trailer (he has a newer Z71) which I wired. Trailer electricals worked fine on my SS, but lights were screwey when hitched to his truck. Turns out his trailer harness ground was not making good contact with the frame. Everything worked fine after the ground was cleaned up, which is a testament to my wiring saavy. :thumbs:

Wow, thanks for the info guys, I will check out those suggestions and post back my findings. By the responses it looks like the adapter I have is probably the correct one, I just need to figure out whats up with it and verify my wiring, thanks.