proud new owner of 06 v-max

i have posted a couple of new topics in regards to headers and exhaust, i know before anyone else says it i've just looked through 9 pages of old topics on the subject for the last 3 hours!. now i got almost no response to my post althought there were plenty of responses to other post.. i know it's a dead subject to all of you but it seems to me everyone just passed right by my post or would'nt respond trying to get there point accross?... so i looked and looked for hours and you would think the way everyone makes it seem like there would be some clear answer's to my questions?.... wrong what is clear is that everyones questions and concerns are a little different from each other and instantly flaming someone for asking i similiar question is not right, theres an old saying that goe's "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers" i don't think it's nice to ignore or flame someone for asking a question, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. also unless your positive the exact same question was asked before and answered, don't go and tell someone to do a search because there was no clear answer to my question anywhere as you all make it seem.

sorry for the rant but i'm a bit peeved :mad: that i joined this site hoping to find some help and nice poeple to converse with, what i have found is quite the contrary. being a newbie you would think everyone would be a little more welcoming and forthcoming with information to help me down the right track... thats what this site is for right?. doe's everyone in here not realize that these questions will be asked for years over and over again, because nobody is going to invent a new way to modify are trucks.. so at some point the only response's will be "do a search" because everything has been talked about already.. but again everyones questions and concerns are if nothing else even slightly different, then they deserve a slighly different and new reply! :flag:

thanks for the help and next time i'll just "do a search" :(

i have posted a couple of new topics in regards to headers and exhaust,!  now i got almost no response to my post

theres an old saying that goe's "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers"

, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Nobody said anything why get huffy about it....

also did you notice, that there is an event, this weekend? Everyone is tied up with the details of that, versus you so very important exhaust question.

i have posted a couple of new topics in regards to headers and exhaust,!  now i got almost no response to my post

theres an old saying that goe's "there are no stupid questions only stupid answers"

, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Nobody said anything why get huffy about it....

also did you notice, that there is an event, this weekend? Everyone is tied up with the details of that, versus you so very important exhaust question.

i'm more then sure the entire group is'nt going to this event.

i've had plenty of people look but no one except rtstork reply, and there were plenty of response's to the "50 series flowmaster post" and the "installed pacesetter headers post" both similiar topics.

all i needed to know is if everyone else that done the duels already, lost any low end torque due to loss of back pressure?. and if i would be better off with small duels 2"-2-1/2"or keep the single exhaust?.

it's easy to complain on me "huffin" but to give an oppinion on what you have, well thats the attitude of the forum that upset me.

sorry if i offended anyone, i'm just trying to open up the groups eye's to realize they need to help and be a litttle more cooperative and helpfull.. thats what the site is for.

I have the Pacesteer headers and the flo-pro muffler no cats and have not lost any noticeable low end torque but have gain more top-end power. My truck is pretty much stock other than a pcmforless tune, CIA and E-fans.

As for the lack of response, it happens on here, it has happend to me and everyone else, other post you make may get 3-4 pages of responses :dunno:

Sorry that your introduction to the forum is off to a rocky start, and for your frustration. But kaotic1 is right pointing ouy that July-August has got to be the busiest time of year for all of us for different reasons; lots of activity that distracts from posts on the forum. I'm only posting here once or twice a day (to everyone's relief I'm sure :P ). My point is, welcome to the forum, yes the VHOs are awesome trucks and our behavior is nothing against you personally, please do not take it that way.

One other thing - there has been a subtle change in site behavior the last six weeks, and I do not always see ALL the latest posts when I click on the "View New Posts" link; it's happening to me so I'm sure a lot of others may not be seeing your thread as well.

RE your exhaust question - On the stock muffler, even though the can has 2 inlets and 2 outlets, one of those outlets is a 'dummy' and you actually only have single exhaust; the factory muffler is a total performance killer. Several guys are running dual FM40s and love them, but there is a certain installation 'configuration' that you need to follow with the FM40s or else you will have a buzz (drone) in the cab at a certain RPM so research that (the secret seems to be in the tailpipes after the mufflers?) Shorty headers have only shown to help performance in one case I can recall on the forum (was a Radix truck) so use a quality long-tube instead, and if you are going maximum-effort forced induction seriously consider 3" collectors and exhaust pipes, else stick with factory 2.5" system. Start there and keep us posted on your progress...

Mr. P. :)

Okay quick run down.

Shorty headers will only give a rough gain of 2-5% nothign to write home about, and work best with a complete cat-back system, on stock to very mild mods.

Long tubes will give about 10-15% gain and are most noted on Forced Induction applications.

Most cat-back systems, are dual in single out, ( magnaflow, bassani, and so on.) Magnaflow also makes a dual in dual out, there are a few that run that in the forum. Most of these set-ups are PERSONAL PREFERANCE.

I have JBA shorty headers, they are direct bolt in, and I have the magnaflow front pipe that is dual, and stops at the back of the cab.

I have the Pacesteer headers and the flo-pro muffler no cats and have not lost any noticeable low end torque but have gain more top-end power. My truck is pretty much stock other than a pcmforless tune, CIA and E-fans.

As for the lack of response, it happens on here, it has happend to me and everyone else, other post you make may get 3-4 pages of responses :dunno:

How do you like the pacesetters? I don't want to pay too much for headers but I don't want any problems. Is the only problem with going with cheaper ones (such as pacesetters) the gaskets leaking?

tawss04,

misterp,

kaotic,

thanks for the reply's.. i feel better knowing there are people here wanting to help, again i'm new here so it seemed to me like i was joining a group that was burnt out on newcomers.

on the exhaust tawss04 you said you have pacesetters and a flo pro (what is that?) muffler but is it dual or not and what size pipe?..

misterp you said that one pipe is a dummy?.. when i looked under my truck it had a cat on both pipes running all the way to the muffler, what i wanted to do was cut them off at the muffler weld up 2 flows in it's place and run dual pipes out the back.. what size i'm not sure of?, do i need an x pipe in there if so where's it go?, i'm not sure what type of header i'm going with later.. i was thinking of the shorty's because there cheap and easy to install but if there a waste then i see no point going with mid's if it's the same cutting and welding to get them in as long tubes then i'll get those but which are good quality and cheap (i know thats an oxymoron but i have to ask) everyone talks about the headers but no one post what they pay?.

How do you like the pacesetters? I don't want to pay too much for headers but I don't want any problems. Is the only problem with going with cheaper ones (such as pacesetters) the gaskets leaking?

In my experience all headers are prone to leaking, installation has to be spot-on. Just make sure the set has at least a 3/8" thick flange (1/2" is better!), use a premium gasket, and torque the flange down very evenly. If using paper/fiber gaskets, realize that the gasket material will "settle" or get thinner as it breaks-in, so you have to retorque regularly until they have gotten as thin as their nature allows; for this reason metal (copper) or metal/composite gaskets are preferred.

Mr. P.

...misterp you said that one pipe is a dummy?..

There is nothing wrong with the head pipes; if you cut the muffler in half you will see that one of the inputs 'dead-ends'. We have a pic in a very old post on the subject around here somewhere... Toss that POS and get a Corsa, dual-in/out Flo-Pro, dual FM40s, or Magnaflows.

Mr. P. :)

also i forgot o add would it be cheaper to get f-body long tubes, i seen some post on that subject and it seems if all i got to do is get out a pry bar and tweak them a bit to save big$$$ then i'll do it?... if that would work i'll do it and post some pics on the install and let all of you know how it come's out, any brand or part number recommended on that note?.

thanks again guys.. feels good to talk about my truck and get some answers! :cheers:

p.s. i'll try to be more patient in the future :)

If you think you can get f-body headers to work then hey why not! I dunno about fit, so you are going to have to research that.

BTW - whereabouts are you located, and what do you do for a living?

Mr. P.

misterp, i live in lancaster ca, (about an hour N of LA). and i do a little bit of everything, roofing part time, auto body repair on the weekends, and i buy and sell old muscle cars in my spare time (thats where the love of cars came from) when i can find'em :D so i guess unless there's another "gypsy" here i'll be the first :jester:

and on the choice of mufflers, i have always liked the flowmaster 40's i already have bought 1 super 40 (supposed to have all the sound and less drone) so i'll just buy one more. it's 3" in 3" out.. should i make the tail pipes 3 all the way back or would 2-1/2" be better?..

Cool; I lived in San Joaquin, Calaveras, and Tuolumne counties for 13+ years. I have lots of roots in NorCal.

I would advise the 2.5" pipes and dual FM40s. Several of the blown/NOS guys have seen good 1/4-mi gains going to 3" collectors and exhaust, but they are moving a lot of air and I think that 3" is over-exhausting on a stock LQ9 cam/heads. Also, the larger the pipe after the muffler, the more it will drone. But if you have a speed addiction and will be putting on FI or big NOS in the future then yeah 3" exhaust would later make sense.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)