computer help needed

04CHASE

i have a wireless network set up at my house in which my pc and my notebook works off of. the problem is my pc works fine but my laptop wont open my browser , it is connected to the wirless network but i cant get anything to come up on msn and its starting to piss me off. any help is appreciated!

Not knowing much about the problem you may try looking at the connections setup within the web browser. You can find this under Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings. Compare that to what your desktop's settings are. Maybe the laptop is set up for a proxy or perhaps a different proxy port. Best of luck to ya.

Chase,

anytime you have that happen, try "right-clicking" the little monitor at the bottom right hand of your screen next to the time. If you glide over the "monitor icon" it will say something to the effect of Wireless connection...

After right clicking on the icon a drop down menu will appear and click repair. The repair will take a min or two and it will refresh your connection with the wireless router.

Another route is securing your wireless router with a password so other people (neighbors) cannot hi-jack your signal...PM me and I will try to walk you through this step....normally if you password protect/encrypt your router your signal wont fail so periodically

ahhh that same thing happened to my laptop at my parents beach house... i was connected to the wireles router, but nothing would work.. for comparo my brothers laptop was connected to the same wireless router and everything worked fine... still havent fig'ed it out yet

Chase,

anytime you have that happen, try "right-clicking" the little monitor at the bottom right hand of your screen next to the time.  If you glide over the "monitor icon" it will say something to the effect of Wireless connection...

After right clicking on the icon a drop down menu will appear and click repair.  The repair will take a min or two and it will refresh your connection with the wireless router.

Another route is securing your wireless router with a password so other people (neighbors) cannot hi-jack your signal...PM me and I will try to walk you through this step....normally if you password protect/encrypt your router your signal wont fail so periodically

SoCalSS, please post the steps to do this. I would like to password protect/encrypt my wireless router. :thumbs:

WEP or Wireless Encryption Protocol works by establishing a shared key between the clients and the access-point, then using the key to encrypt and de-encrypt the data passing between them. This offers adequate security for a home network, where the primary concern is that your neighbors do not find out what you are downloading.

To configure WEP, you must enable it on the router and on each wireless adaptor (use the management software that came with the card.), and designate a passphrase or key for the network, which must be entered identically on each system.

This requires the initial card/CD that came with your router:

1. Put CD in CD Drive and wait for program to run, some routers like D-Link allow you to type in a IP address to proceed with encryption or changing of settings on you wireless router

2. It will then prompt you for a user name and password, enter them

3. Go to the configuration tab, or wireless tab

4. At this tab there should display a few significant things you may be able to change such as

SSID - Basically the name/indetification your box is noticed by computers picking up the wireless signal...should say default if you havent changed it...you can change it to any name you want your router to be indetified by...

WEP Encryption - a 40, 64 or 128 bit encryption, the higher the bit you choose the harder time a novice hacker will have trying to access your shared computer files, make sure this is enabled to ensure your wirless connection can only be picked up by those who have the password

Keys - Ususally 1 - 4 keys also known as passwords are stored on your wireless router. You can choose what your password is by changing the keys. Just make sure to write down the password before you click apply or save due to this is what you will need to access the router with the other computers

5. Save or Apply new settings, whichever option your router config supplies you with

6. Then go to each computer in the house and right click on the monitor next to the time in the bottom right and click "view available wireless networks" and a screen will come up with a name of available wireless networks you are picking the signal up on.

7. Click on your network (if you changed your SSID it will now be under that name). The click connect

8. Your computer will connect and ask you want your password/login is...this is the same password you denoted under the Key section when configuring your router...Type this password in and you should connect and be on a safer connection than before, and now your neighbors wont be stealing bandwith and making everything run much slower

Now if this was detailed enough or you something more specific to your router let me know and I will try to research your router and its configuration windows to better navigate your around...Specifically this How To was more for those of you who have D-Link, but should be similar to all manufacturers of wirless routers

:cheers: