gonna do the 4l80 conversion

who all has done the conversion?? i broke the built 4l65 this weekend and im not gonna take a chance again. just wondering if there are any other places to look besides speed engineering. i know i will have to do some different computer controls also what is all involved with that? thanks for any input you guys can give

Get the FLT upgrade for sure.  In fact, call Chuck and talk to him about your goals, etc., and let him design the 80 for you.

will the kit be full bolt on? or would he just sell me the tranny and i would have to get the drive shafts and the other parts..

yeah i know lol.. not that i wont spend the money to do it the thing is do i want to. or do i wana detune what i have run a stout 4l65e. thats the delima im in right now.. im trying to find out if there is a better input drum i can run in the 65e and be somewhat safe..

im trying to find out if there is a better input drum i can run in the 65e and be somewhat safe..

Not that I have seen. I have beefier one in mine, but it still looks cheap. Go to speed and do the 4L80 swap and then get the 80 built. You probably will never have to touch it again, depending on how far you go and how much time you spend on the track.

Plus, someone needs to do it and make it work. I need a comfortable place to fall back on when mine takes a crap. :D

I would just do the speed engineering kit. Here is what you will need.

4L80 kit awd ss

That comes with flt level 3 4L80 capable of handling 700hp. To upgrade to a level 4 flt (can handle 800hp) tranny its an additional $300 and to upgrade to a level 5 flt (can handle 1200hp) its an additional $1,300.

You can buy everything but the tranny and converter from speed for $1400, BUT you don't need all that stuff. For instance, they sell you a flywheel and spacer... Don't need those if you get your converter from Chuck. You;ll want an upgraded drive shaft as well, and I haven't talked to Sean yet about how much their DS can support. You can adapt your own cross member if you weld, so you don't need that. You can also buy the electronics stuff directly from John at Speartec. It should be noted that Speed also does everything a la carte...

If it were me, I'd deal directly with Chuck and make sure your tranny is deisgned dy the master. Same with the TCC.

• 2 weeks later...
So the electronic problem is worked out in the swap?  Has anyone gone from the 65 to the 80 WITH AWD? :confused:  I know 427 does but he does not count :cool:

Ive heard there are a couple that have done it, but there not memebers of this board as far as I know.