F#(K !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought aout that bnoon. ut its been in for almost 7k miles , wouldnt that have happened earlier?? i dont know if the machinest will have it aprt if they warranty though so i may never know. im just really bummed that after having the truck run really good this happens. i guess good things dont last , well for me anyways.

p.s. anyone loooking to buy a vortech with some goodies??

Been there. I put 3 (cams) of them in. Like I mentioned about the stock cam bearings, they are cheap. No matter what build you get, get the cam bearings changed out to Durabond bearings, even if it is a new block.

Update: well man i am happy im getting a brand new lq9 under warrany. so i shoul dbe up and running by next week. i bought the ported ls6 oil pump from lpe so that is going in this time. i really want to do another cam but im kind of afraid this will happen to me again .

I have installed dozens of cams, although only 1 in a LS1 engine. Never have spun a cam bearing. I would say it wasn't your fault unless you severly over revved it. Most likely the oil pump let go and took the cam bearing. Dosen't the LS1 engines have priority main oiling? If the cam gets oil last maybe that could be a factor as well. At least you were able to get a warranty. Good luck

Dave

I have installed dozens of cams, although only 1 in a LS1 engine. Never have spun a cam bearing. I would say it wasn't your fault unless you severly over revved it. Most likely the oil pump let go and took the cam bearing. Dosen't the LS1 engines have priority main oiling? If the cam gets oil last maybe that could be a factor as well. At least you were able to get a warranty. Good luck

Dave

Stock cam bearings are crap. Like I posted, I saw copper showing through on my brand new block. One ding to a cam bearing in the wrong place and potentially you can loose the bearing. I don't think over-revving is the problem. For mine it was prolonged heat and thinning oil + dinged up bearings.

Update: well man i am happy im getting a brand new lq9 under warrany. so i shoul dbe up and running by next week. i bought the ported ls6 oil pump from lpe so that is going in this time. i really want to do another cam but im kind of afraid this will happen to me again .

Man you are one lucky motha F#cka. :crackup: Your dealer covers everything.

Depends on your view. Most lost motors get replaced by strokers - I guess he'll miss out on that :P

Depends on your view. Most lost motors get replaced by strokers - I guess he'll miss out on that :P

Id take a free LQ9 with no miles then a stroker that costs thousands any day.... :cheers:

Dosen't the LS1 engines have priority main oiling? If the cam gets oil last maybe that could be a factor as well. At least you were able to get a warranty. Good luck

Nope, they don't have priority main oiling, it's valvetrain first. That's usually the problem with spun crank/rod bearings is an oil leak/plug/ or low oil in the pan at high rpm that starves the crank of oill. The aftermarket blocks that I've seen are switched to priority main to help that problem.

:withstupid: The cam bearings are the first to get oiled in a stock LQ9, so the only way you can get a cam bearing failure is to basically run the bearing out of oil (low engine oil, cavitation, or outright pump failure). I would even suggest that on hard acceleration you might be uncovering the oil pump pickup, but lots of guys run even harder launches using the stock LQ9 pan/pickup tube so I don't think that is a legitimate worry. Have the oil pump in the failed engine examined, if it is still ok then I would agree with BenKey, the OEM cam bearing was so loose on tolerances that there was no way to keep the cam afloat on 30W oil and over time it just ate itself. And yes I would not hesitate to cam that engine, before install if possible. Great news hearing that the dealer covered you on that one - don't weaken and get discouraged! :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Where is your dealer at? Mine wouldn't cover my cats going bad :mad: Just as well, a good excuse to upgrade them :)

im not telling yet im waiting to get the engine back in, i just went down to look at it and they had my new lq9 sitting there. i had my buddy ( the tech doing the work) uninstall my comp springs/ push rods and cam, although im 99% sure the cam is junked. i am also going to have another buddy install the lpe oil pump and a new cam some time in the future. i did see that my blower return line needed to replaced as it was leaking a very mintue amount of fluid i doubt it could have been that much though. im just going to make sure its always full from now on!!i dont want go through

power chevrolet corona!! they are getting a new gm though. so i dont know what the future will look like. i just got home from test driving the truck. it run good i helped buttonm up the superchargewr to make sure everything was correct. i was very nervous to turn the key but all is well for now. should have the ss back on the road by tommorrow and let the break in begin!!

on a side not ill be ordering another cam , but this time a wee bit bigger!!