Random KR where do I start

Bowtie70SS

Good point...I thought about that. I got into boost a little but I didn't wail it because as I read the VE is only for 4000rpm and below anyway right? Can I then tune the VE table with the MAF on?

Dave

By default it is only used up to 4000rpms, but that is a PCM parameter and can be changed (at least it is within EFI Live calibrations).

I know of a couple of ways that you could get to tuning the VE table with the MAF enabled. Give me a little while and I'll see if I can write something up. It might not translate to HPT very well...

Quick observations from your bin file -

- The VE table looks reasonable from 400 to 2000 rpm. Above 2000 rpm and the WOT areas need help.

- PE (WOT) mixture looks ok if that is what is actually being burned.

- PE enable at 90% is too high. Drop it to roughly 40% at 0 rpm and taper to 10% at 7200 rpm. This will help with the knock.

- The high-octane spark map appears to have too much timing in the areas where it starts making boost. One spot that sticks out is the 2400 to 5200 areas from 0.021 to 0.028 oz/cyl. This area would cause knock "getting on it". As for the 22 degrees in the boost area at low rpms - I'd be surprised if it could handle that much without perfect fueling to match (need WBO2).

- Drop the low octane spark map down across the board by 4, 6 or even more degrees lower than the high octane map to use the low octane table the way it was meant to and save the engine. Having values higher in the low octane map than the high-octane map should only be done if one is tuning in OL. Once done with OL, put it back like described above for safety.

- There are many other little things that are "different"...the "fingerprint" of tuning - no one does it the same.

Since you have your own tuning software, the best $300 investments to make is a WBO2 and dial in your entire tune or better yet, buy the WBO2 and work with a good tuner to allow tune and log file exchanges. Tuning software should come with a WBO2 - anything else is just guessing.

Thanks Sinister...I have already been at work on it. I have made quite a bit of progress. On my log I hit boost at 42% throttle, so I put my PE enable at 40% across the board. I will taper it like you suggested. As far as the timing table I have been working on that too...on the retard histogram I copied and pasted, subtracting the retard values from my timing table. Right now the high octane table is copied to the low one as well. You make a good point, however, about the low octane table. I will scale it down by??? Maybe subtract 4 from the whole table across the board.

This tune was out of whack because it had a PCM4less tune originally with the radix, then I updated thru Brian...never was the same. Then I lost the engine and was working with a local guy who started to tune it but we "parted" ways. I have been reading and researching as much as I can.

A kid at the local tuner shop offered to help me out, since he has a portable wideband we can install in the one of the rear O2 sensor holes. Once I get my tune closer...I have been working the VE table more and my trims are 0 to -1.5 for the most part although I need a little more work. I have only been working on it for 2 days, and for my experience level I have made major strides. The truck feels MUCH better with very little KR and none at WOT. Thanks for your reply it really helped.

Dave