2006 differential fluid, now loose rear end

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post but I have been reading around the site for a while. I have a 2006 2wd SS and just changed my rear end fluid. I did not use any friction additives. I noticed the truck's rear seem to be loose while cornering now. I drove in a couple of figure eights to see if it would help but it still seems a little loose. I was reading in the "HOW-TO: Drain and Fill Your Rear Axle" forum and Mr. P said that the problem went away in 48 hours. Anyone know what the problem might be? Or should I wait it out and see what happens.

Also, I used 3 quarts of Mobil 1 in my 14 bolt rear end. The oil did not come up to the drain plug line, should I add more until the oil reaches the line?

Thanks for your help,

Paul

I would not reccomend any sort of synthetic in any limited slip rearend. I ran into the same thing when I installed a new carrier so I switched to regular 75/90 and used the friction modifier additive and it works great now. The clutches in the diff will wear out faster with synthetic fluid.

I drove the truck around for a little bit and the rear seems to have tightened up. I have the locking differential. For 2006, is an aurburn unit used or eaton G80? For other vehicles I have always used regular gear oil with a gm additive but I thought the differentials were sticking in gm trucks so additives are not being used anymore.

I drove the truck around for a little bit and the rear seems to have tightened up. I have the locking differential. For 2006, is an aurburn unit used or eaton G80? For other vehicles I have always used regular gear oil with a gm additive but I thought the differentials were sticking in  gm trucks so additives are not being used anymore.

There have been posts here about not using any additive (friction modifier) to the Eaton G80. I don't believe they use clutch packs like a regular limited slip or positrac so no additive is needed. I just swapped all fluids to Amsoil in the engine, front and rear diffs, tranny and xfer case. Mobil1 is good too. MPG seems to be up about +.6 to.8 too.

I drove the truck around for a little bit and the rear seems to have tightened up. I have the locking differential. For 2006, is an aurburn unit used or eaton G80? For other vehicles I have always used regular gear oil with a gm additive but I thought the differentials were sticking in  gm trucks so additives are not being used anymore.

There have been posts here about not using any additive (friction modifier) to the Eaton G80. I don't believe they use clutch packs like a regular limited slip or positrac so no additive is needed. I just swapped all fluids to Amsoil in the engine, front and rear diffs, tranny and xfer case. Mobil1 is good too. MPG seems to be up about +.6 to.8 too.

Dam that chick is hot!

Not to be a smart ass but I don't think you have ever seen the factory gov lock. They do use clutches.

Not to be a smart ass but I don't think you have ever seen the factory gov lock. They do use clutches.

Ok no problem, I just didn't think the G80 uses the clutch packs typically found in a regular limited slip or positrac. I thought it was more like a gear locker. Thanks for the info. :thumbs: