Pulled front shaft to dyno.....

I pulled the front shaft to dyno my truck yesterday. I had to drive it about 4 miles to the shop. Of course it was down on power, heck the converter stalled a lot higher. I didn't beat on it, but you could tell something wasn't right. When I got to the shop, I layed my foot on the brake and gave it a little gas, kinda a light powerbraking. The transfer case made a gurgling noise...game over. With my recent problems, I opted out. I just watched a couple of my buddys dyno their 69 Chevelles. I am concerned about trying to Dyno it as it seemed like it slipped or something while driving it over there. I guess I'm just gonna use their portable wideband and we can tune it on the street. Later

Dave

You may have damaged the transfer case, you can not run awd cases without the front driveshaft. A few people learned the hard way. These transfer cases have a coupler inside that will come apart when the front drive shaft is taken out.

You may have damaged the transfer case, you can not run awd cases without the front driveshaft. A few people learned the hard way. These transfer cases have a coupler inside that will come apart when the front drive shaft is taken out.

Still waiting for mine to have issues. :dunno: No exaggeration when I say I did over 50 pulls on the dyno without the front shaft. Why haven't I had any issues? I am by no means easy on it either.

I hope I didn't hurt it...I was pretty easy driving it. I put the shaft back in and it seems ok. I probably should change the fluid and look for shrapnel. I always have been a rodhead...I typically learn the hard way.

Dave

Why would you not take it out there? It takes a few minutes. I would do it in the parking lot before driving it there. I don't care how close they are. I'm sure trying to powerbrake it didn't help your cause either. Sounds like you wanted to test the limits of the okay to do dyno test with a single driveshaft theory. You changed it to the its okay to drive there, powerbrake it in the parkinglot, then dyno it theory. Too bad you didn't complete it. You would have set new limits for the present theory :)

• 4 months later...
Shop guys here told me the thing would go into some kind of limp mode on the dyno, so they would have to road tune mine. I figured maybe without seeing the front wheel speed, maybe they were right. I don't know.

:icon_bs:

Like I stated months ago, I have rolled on the dyno 50+ times over a 3 year period w/o the front shaft. Still going strong.

I have changed the typical tranny fluid to the autotrac blue smurf sperm at 20K (in the T-case). I have 44k on her now. :thumbs:

Shop guys here told me the thing would go into some kind of limp mode on the dyno, so they would have to road tune mine. I figured maybe without seeing the front wheel speed, maybe they were right. I don't know.

:icon_bs:

Like I stated months ago, I have rolled on the dyno 50+ times over a 3 year period w/o the front shaft. Still going strong.

I have changed the typical tranny fluid to the autotrac blue smurf sperm at 20K (in the T-case). I have 44k on her now. :thumbs:

"blue smurf sperm" LOL :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: