New LS7

After reading the specs on the new LS7 I am seriously thinking of scrapping the "mods" ideas for my SS and trading out the old for the new.......... :chevy:

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engine...ing/0504sc_ls7/

You have 13-15 K just laying around for the engine and swap?

Laying around....no, put away...yes! Why, you jealous? :D

Besides, who wouldn't want to start fresh with something like that as a stock motor? Right out of the crate you have 500 hp and would smoke. Then add a supercharger and and a few bolt-ons and your are easily at 700HP. Why not? :crazy:

Laying around....no, put away...yes!  Why, you jealous? :D

Besides, who wouldn't want to start fresh with something like that as a stock motor? Right out of the crate you have 500 hp and would smoke. Then add a supercharger and and a few bolt-ons and your are easily at 700HP. Why not? :crazy:

500hp = 420-430rwhp. Your lq9 in stock form has already been proven to hit 700rwhp FI.

You would make more power and more torque with a radix on a stock LQ9 for what, 5500.00?  :crazy:

Do you know what kinda power you make with the Whipple?

You have to keep in mind that phrase: there is no replacement for displacement. No one is putting down 700 RWHP in stock trim with just FI in a LQ9. Show the numbers. 700 hp to the crank is more realistically.

The stock ls7 has a really mild cam. With a came swap and headers would pick you up a considerable amount more of power. The heads on it are one of the best flowing around stock, port them and they will flow ridicules numbers. The only problem with the ls7 is its restrictive intake a cast pistons. Once FAST comes out with the intake for the ls7 that engine is going to put out crazy numbers. change the piston and rods and you can spray a 300 shot with no problem.

Yes the engine is 12,000, but for that price it comes with everything, just bolt in it. Call around to any performance company and you wont be able to get a 427 complete for that price.

Yes you can put down good numbers with "$5,500" supercharger. A good way to look at it is, take a lq9, supercharge it and put it in a corvette. it will not run the same times as the ls7.

You would make more power and more torque with a radix on a stock LQ9 for what, 5500.00?  :crazy:

You have to keep in mind that phrase: there is no replacement for displacement. No one is putting down 700 RWHP in stock trim with just FI in a LQ9. Show the numbers. 700 hp to the crank is more realistically.

The stock ls7 has a really mild cam. With a came swap and headers would pick you up a considerable amount more of power. The heads on it are one of the best flowing around stock, port them and they will flow ridicules numbers. The only problem with the ls7 is its restrictive intake a cast pistons. Once FAST comes out with the intake for the ls7 that engine is going to put out crazy numbers. change the piston and rods and you can spray a 300 shot with no problem.

Yes the engine is 12,000, but for that price it comes with everything, just bolt in it. Call around to any performance company and you wont be able to get a 427 complete for that price.

Yes you can put down good numbers with "$5,500" supercharger. A good way to look at it is, take a lq9, supercharge it and put it in a corvette. it will not run the same times as the ls7.

On his old setup, Parish did 640rwhp on a stock lq9/stock head with turbo. All he did, and this is first hand information mind you, he upgraded the valvetrain and connecting rod bolts and head bolts.

Combination motorsports sells a 408ci that will take anything you can throw at it for 5500.00. What's the going rate for a set of AFRs, 3300?

I’m not downing the motor, I’m just saying, for that price A LOT more power can be made. If all he’s looking to make is 420rwhp, that’s not the route to take.

Christ, a head and cam ls1 can make 500+rwhp.

Let's see.....Stock LQ9 (which I have) $5500.00 supercharger (which I have), headers and exhaust (which I have) and no idae what numbers I am running..... :cry: I can't find an AWD dyno localy. :banghead: Waiting for my Interceptors to get an here so I can at least get some kind of idea what all the money I spent so far has done. :crazy:

As for the restrictive air intake? The LS7 has been redesigned...if you read the article it mentions the "stock" 90mm TB and redesigned intake. Also, it sauys the heads are all CNC ported and already run some rediculas numbers for air flow. Couple that with the redesigned and larger valves...whoa...that's a lot of cfm!

I don't think I would change out the rods.......they are forged TITANIUM!

With that being said...I was just saying that the LS7 looked pretty sweet as a fresh and cool "stock" motor at 500HP. Who know's where it would go with the add ons I already have? :dunno:

However, I am always open for comments as to getting more HP from my LQ9 with out tearing into the engine!

On his old setup, Parish did 640rwhp on a stock lq9/stock head with turbo. All he did, and this is first hand information mind you, he upgraded the valvetrain and connecting rod bolts and head bolts.

Combination motorsports sells a 408ci that will take anything you can throw at it for 5500.00. What's the going rate for a set of AFRs, 3300?

I’m not downing the motor, I’m just saying, for that price A LOT more power can be made. If all he’s looking to make is 420rwhp, that’s not the route to take.

Christ, a head and cam ls1 can make 500+rwhp.

Its not stock if he took the engine apart to change the rod & head bolts. 640 hp and 700 hp like you said is a big difference. How long did that engine last? not long b/c he blow up a piston.?.?

Combination motorsports 408 for 5,500 is not a complete engine either. Whay type of crank and pistons are they giving to you for that price? if you know about engines you can add up the rest of the cost to correctly install that 5,500 low end into a vehical and have it run right.

The articals you read was most likey written by someone who was told the specs. Talk to someone who has worked on that engine and it is a different story. The engine is awesome in stock form, what i am trying to say is that you can take a ls2 resleeved to a 427. add aftermarket ported heads, cam, fast intake and it will make more power than the ls7 427 because the intake restricts.

We can debate this back and forth. the main reason i replied initially was that you said 700hp to the wheels in a stock lq9 with FI has been proven, which is false information.

Christ, if you wanna call it a build motor because he changed some bolts, then by all means... The motor blew due to a "nitrous mishap" in the staging lanes, so you got me there.

My argument is that you can buy the best 408, heads, cam, intake, etc. and have a motor that would kick the shit out of the LS7 for the same price, if not much less.

The 408 CM motor is as follows.

LS1 6.0L iron block

Callies Racemaster 4340 Forged Crankshaft 4.000" Stroke

Oliver Billet Connecting Rods 6.125"

Custom JE Forged Pistons

JE Rings (per application)

PolyDyn Coated Clevite H series Cam, Rod, Main Bearings

ARP Main Studs

Clevite H series racing bearings

Fully Balanced

Assembled short block complete with build sheets

That's the same short block that made over 1000rwhp in parish's truck, and is now making more power.

Parish did 640rwhp + a 75shot on a basically stock(IMO) LQ9. I'm sure he broke the 700rwhp mark in doing so. But I'm sure you'll debate that too, because he didn't have stock exhaust, so it was practically a built big block...

:nopity:

Whatever.

I've got @ $4000.00 in all parts, labor and tuning into my LQ9 (in sig) and it puts 371/381 to the wheels.

If there's a 25% loss through a 4x4 drivetrain, it's a safe estimate that I'm getting damn close to 500 at the crank. This is with a small cam on a 116lsa and a stock converter.

NFW is it worth that much dough for a 500hp LS7 swap. :nono:

371hp_dyno2.sized.jpg

Archived