Torque converter locking up in 3rd WOT..

Whenever I am WOT in 3rd gear around 80-90 mph, at about 4500 rpms or so, the torque converter locks up and the RPM's drop to about 4100 and they start climbing from there. It feels like an upshift... and it feels like the truck just stops pulling as hard at that point.

My question is... should I have my tuner adjust this so it wont lock up at that point? Is it safe to remove that lock up point and have it lock up in 4th or something? I know this is slowing me down in the top end...

Whenever I am WOT in 3rd gear around 80-90 mph, at about 4500 rpms or so, the torque converter locks up and the RPM's drop to about 4100 and they start climbing from there.  It feels like an upshift...  and it feels like the truck just stops pulling as hard at that point.

My question is...  should I have my tuner adjust this so it wont lock up at that point?  Is it safe to remove that lock up point and have it lock up in 4th or something?  I know this is slowing me down in the top end...

On your tune it can be set to any mph. Tell them where you want it to lock up

Chase, so you have it set so it doesnt lockup when WOT ?  I want it to lock up in 4th when cruising, but I dont want it to lock until I hit 4th when WOT.  It feels like its going into o/d when in 3rd and floored..

do you have hptuners yet? if so i would start talking to zippy about the tuning, he has done very good for me so far, and he has great prices. im starting to see the little things i can do but there is just so much. i dont beleive my converter locks up until 4th gear part throttle . thats the only time it doses lock that i have seen thus far.

Yeah I dont have HPTuners, but the guy doing my tuning knows his sh!t. We are going to dial in the problem next time I go see him.

I decided to take a video clip using my cell phone, and I can show you what I am talking about. Its REALLY noticable once I watched the video clip back... once my truck hits 3rd gear, it feels like the torque converter locks up and bogs down. You need to HEAR the video clip... listen once it hits 3rd gear, the blower whine goes down and it just feels sluggish after that.

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f119/pun...nt=radixsss.flv

punkt71,...mine locks up where yours does. I haven't tried different lock up points vs 1/4 mile yet. I'd be interested in real world results on that one :smash: I would expect a DECREASE in MPH but maybe a little increase in acceleration with a fully UNLOCKED converter.

The way I see it is that when it is unlocked, it generates alot of heat (heat is bad IMO). Heat is energy that I would rather have being transferred to my wheels via a locked converter.

I do know I see 1-2* of KR when the damn thing engages,...so I will be trying some alternate lock-ups. If the 1-2* of KR goes, I'll bet on improved E.T. for my set-up.

when it hits L/U you don't have any slip(just like a stick) so you should be putting all hp to the ground so you will be working the motor harder ,just give it more throttle and put the ponies down :driving:

punkt71,...mine locks up where yours does.  I haven't tried different lock up points vs 1/4 mile yet.  I'd be interested in real world results on that one  :smash:  I would expect a DECREASE in MPH but maybe a little increase in acceleration with a fully UNLOCKED converter.

The way I see it is that when it is unlocked, it generates alot of heat (heat is bad IMO).  Heat is energy that I would rather have being transferred to my wheels via a locked converter.

I do know I see 1-2* of KR when the damn thing engages,...so I will be trying some alternate lock-ups.  If the 1-2* of KR goes, I'll bet on improved E.T. for my set-up.

There is alot to be gained in working that out. I've found as much as a .1-.15 to be gained in getting the lockup point right for the setup.

The biggest problem I've found is that when the converter locks it causes a quick boost spike and therefore KR* if you have your timing curve real tight. There is some gain in finding the sweet spot of locking it in.