Lowering an 03 AWD

i need to lower the ss, the stock height is killin me. so i dont want anything crazy, probably 2' all around ....if not.... what works best for our trucks. what and where should i look to pick up a drop kit for my truck, any suggestions on height or kits as well as places to look..?

2' drop, that's killer - you'll be tuckin pavement!

All BS aside. I'm very happy with my Belltech 2" drop spindles (P/N 2508) up front, and 3" leafs in the back. Provides a level drop, great stance, and good ride quality. The rear is a bit stiff, but that to be expected with drop leafs and it's really not that bad.

2' drop, that's killer - you'll be tuckin pavement!

All BS aside. I'm very happy with my Belltech 2" drop spindles (P/N 2508) up front, and 3" leafs in the back. Provides a level drop, great stance, and good ride quality. The rear is a bit stiff, but that to be expected with drop leafs and it's really not that bad.

haha, i didnt even notice to 2'.. u got mah drift...so yea, is that a kit by Belltech, or individual componants

In my opinion, don't waste your time with the kit. Belltech's kits use either coil springs or torsion keys up front. Of course the SS does not have coil springs and I personally wasn't happy with the Torsion bar approach.

Pick up the spindles from Summit for $222

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

and the leafs from Northern Auto Parts for $280

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductMo...uctModelId=6520

I'm sure some will disagree, but I'm very happy with this setup.

In my opinion, don't waste your time with the kit. Belltech's kits use either coil springs or torsion keys up front. Of course the SS does not have coil springs and I personally wasn't happy with the Torsion bar approach.

the rear leafs say its 4" is that right....also did u do it yourself or did u have it done by somone else, how hard is it..?

Not sure why it's listed as 4", I measured post-drop and it was 3".

Personally I think it's easy. Spindles take 30 minutes per side if you know what you're doing. The Belltech pieces come with good instructions if you need em that include torque specs. Leafs are a bit more involved, espeically the drivers side. You can knock out the passenger side leaf in a couple hours even with no experience. However, in order to do the drivers side you have to drop the fuel tank. That was the biggest pain in the arse out of everything. Getting it down isn't too bad, but putting it back up is another story. If I had to do it again, would probably only take me 15 minutes but the first time was a bitch.

i need to lower the ss, the stock height is killin me. so i dont want anything crazy, probably 2' all around ....if not.... what works best for our trucks. what and where should i look to pick up a drop kit for my truck, any suggestions on height or kits as well as places to look..?

I dropped my SSS last saturday. I used 2'' belltech drop shackles in the rear and lowered the torsion bars about 1.5'' . It still rides very good . The shackles were about $50.00 and the front drop was FREE! I also has my local Chevy dealer do a front end alignment which was another $50.00. so everything was done for 100 bucks. :driving:

check out my thread here:  http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24066

i asked just about every question imaganible and everyone gave me great advice.

Hey thanxalot for the help...so after all said and done, what did u order.....i.e. spindles, shackles, shims front and rear, whats the part numbers and site...thanx man

do you have any pics of this set up this is what i want to do as well........also did it require and shims etc........

thanks

Aaron

A lot of you guys are leaving out very important things.

1. Spindles, they are somewhat easy if you have the basic mechanic tools. For a note to you AWD SS guys dropping with spindles, you will have to trim down the upper balljoint stud even with the spindle where the stud will come through. If you don't, the stud will be going through the C.V. axle boot.

2. Doing only rear 2" Shackles. This will place your pinion angle out of specs causing driveline vibrations. You will need to get 2* or 3* shims that go between your rear xle and the leafs to achieve the proper pinion angle.

3. Hangers & Shackle Combo for AWD SS. Sometimes the pinion angle will be close to where it needs to be going this route. Doing hangers is quite a bit of a job.

There are some write ups here on this. The trucks with the one piece large aluminum driveshaft may need to remove the round tubular cross member under the bed. It may come in contact with the cross member and wreck havock to the driveshaft and other things.

4. 3" Belltech leafs. Some say they give a 3" drop, others state it drops the rear lower than the front when the spindles are used up front. You will still have to possibly shim the new leafs to get the proper pinion angle. There seems to be a lot of mixed responses on the Belltech 3" lowering leafs.

If you plan on towing with the Belltech leafs, you will have to add helper air bags. If not, the suspension will bottom out.

5. All these different types of drops will require a modification to the bump stops. Some require more than others. There again, there are many write ups on this as well here.

6. Also, from what majority of guys have stated here, the torsion key drops are not recommended. They have been known to decrease ride comfort and handling.

I wish more of the guys here would respond to my threads like they have yours. I guess if you don't own an "SS Silverado", and you post here, you are looked at in a different manner. I could be wrong, but I haven't had many post towards my threads like they have yours in such a short time period.

Mines a 2wd VHO ECSB Silverado. They now call it a Vortec Max Silverado. Basically, it's a 2wd SS. There is no difference in them to me.

No offense to anyone, because there are many that have been very helpfull here.

Anyways, good luck with the drop! Hope it works out nicely for you.

Jim

4. 3" Belltech leafs. Some say they give a 3" drop, others state it drops the rear lower than the front when the spindles are used up front. You will still have to possibly shim the new leafs to get the proper pinion angle. There seems to be a lot of mixed responses on the Belltech 3" lowering leafs.

If you plan on towing with the Belltech leafs, you will have to add helper air bags. If not, the suspension will bottom out.

I wish more of the guys here would respond to my threads like they have yours. I guess if you don't own an "SS Silverado", and you post here, you are looked at in a different manner. I could be wrong, but I haven't had many post towards my threads like they have yours in such a short time period.

Mines a 2wd VHO ECSB Silverado. They now call it a Vortec Max Silverado. Basically, it's a 2wd SS. There is no difference in them to me.

No offense to anyone, because there are many that have been very helpfull here.

Anyways, good luck with the drop! Hope it works out nicely for you.

Jim

The leaf packs, should not need shims, they are designed as if they were stock leaf packs just lower. Yes if you want to tow you will more than likely need helper bags, to assist the load.

I don't think that people did not want to help you with your truck, I think you asked question that have yet to be answered. You may possibly be correct on the SS matter only because most of them are AWD where as you are 2wd. That maybe closer to your answer of your questions.

do you have any pics of this set up this is what i want to do as well........also did it require and shims etc........

thanks

Aaron

See pics here:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...topic=22957&hl=

I did not need shims and do not have vibration, but I'm 2WD with a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft so that may make a difference.

A lot of you guys are leaving out very important things.

1. Spindles, they are somewhat easy if you have the basic mechanic tools. For a note to you AWD SS guys dropping with spindles, you will have to trim down the upper balljoint stud even with the spindle where the stud will come through. If you don't, the stud will be going through the C.V. axle boot.

5. All these different types of drops will require a modification to the bump stops. Some require more than others. There again, there are many write ups on this as well here.

Jim

1 - Something I didn't consider as I'm also 2WD

4 - I'd say the rear was a tit lower than the front, but a quick adjustment of the T-bars will level that right out. Also, as I said above, no pinion shims and no vibration. I love my leafs but yes, need helped bags to haul my bike.

5 - Belltech leafs come with new bumpstops that bolt into the factory location. As for the front, just trim a nub off the OEM bumpstop and your good to go.

On a side note. I also have a VHO and have always gotten great responses on here :dunno:

For the front go with spindles instead of keys!!! As far as the back I am pleased with the Belltech hangers but it could be lower.

I'd say go for Belltech spindles ans leaf kit for rear.

Don't go with the keys!!! or you'll get that cheap alternative sloppy feeling in the front.