GM single disc cd player

SuperDave

My neice has a late 90's Pontiac Grand Am with a indash CD player that skips really bad. Does anyone on board here know why this would just start for no reason, and what we can do to fix her up? It's not just on any one disc, but every disc... and it skips bad at the least little shock from the road. To me it sounds like the tracking motor is kaput, but I'm no pro.

I suggested a new head unit and JL Audio speakers but she wants to save her money. I told her I would ask around. Can anyone offer any info?

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

No help here with fixing the original unit. I hear she wants to save money, but if the funds are available pick up a head unit that accepts an IPOD, or other portable music device. I've been driving with a truck full of CDs for the last 3 years and have nearly scratched them all. I now have my IPOD hooked into the factory controls, no CDs in the truck anymore...unless I just picked it up from the store. Kept my XM, but now I nearly never use it.

DW

The cd player in my blazer did this same exact thing for a while till it stopped working. I tried the cleaner stuff and nothing. Now when you put in a cd it just keeps trying to read it over and over and then says error on the screen and then ejects it. I just think of it as another GM thing.