Jet Boat enthusiasts?

ChevyMan23

Im about 1 phone call away from buying a boat/new project...Its a 1976 GLastron Carlson CVX20..350 Olds powered..Berkley Jet drive...great shape really..I was wondering if anyone had any info or knew where i could look some info up on these boats...iv een googling all morning and havent found a whole lot. You guys always seem to have all kinds of info on so many different things I figured Id give it a shot...heres what she looks like.....TIA as usual...

102_0885.jpg

102_0886.jpg

102_0888.jpg

102_0890.jpg

102_0891.jpg

102_0893.jpg

eSScladeSS used to have a jet boat, probably sold it though, no one can keep track of his toys :D

:withstupid: thats right...keep ya wonderin!!! :D

I've only heard my dad talk about the Glastron Carlson's but I've never seen one until now... looks pretty cool, only thing you really need to make sure of is the floor is solid and the hull is not cracked... other than that most jetboats are pretty similiar!

I've had a:

1972 Tahiti 17th, 1976 Tahiti 18ft, and a 1972 Nordic 18ft jet boats and they were all pretty close in design...

one other thing to remember is, most people think jet boats are fast... THEY ARE NOT!! they look fast, they sound fast... but it takes A LOT of money dumped in the pump and engine to really make them fast.

If you want a fast boat you get a V-drive... but be prepared to spend more money initially on the purchase of the boat...

looks like a cool project though! :thumbs:

~Brian

your wind screen and radio apear to be missing. radio will be cheep the wind screen prolly not my guess is it was cracked or the chrome rusted and the previous just removed it unless you did.

check the cooling lines for the engine make sure their in good condition.

their should be a anti backfire air cleaner on there instead of a wal-mart bag. there not to bad $$ wise.

paint looks good hull seams ok in the picks some of the wood looks sick but useable and seats are a dime a dozen.

if it runs should be good to go.

make sure to give it a good de zebraing.

Edited by onyxMAX (see edit history)

The Carlsons didnt have windscreens.....the owner has the radio....all the wod in the floor was replaced...just not the engine area...the bag is there b/c it hasnt seen water in a about a month...took the breather off...the water logs are cracked...but i can fix those and i have a set of barely used humps i can put on it if i dont go w/ Hardin headers...the seats are new wood...but they'll be redone as well...paint is fairly new...but theres som cracking issues that will be taken care of...after sitting for a month....he pumped the throttle 3 times and it fired right up...gettin the boat...trailer and 2 455 long blocks for $2600..kinda hard to pass up when iv been wanting a jet boat....a different jt boat at that..for such a long time...

Rogers, Tahiti, Nordic, Marlin, Eliminator, D'cucci all make some really good jet boat hulls. Make sure the stringers or transom aren't rotten. Also, make sure the pump is in decent condition. Get a big block- small blocks are not worth your time in these boats. My family raced jet boats since 1975 and I my dad has 8 world speed records with four different boats and is in the APBA Hall of Champions. You do it right and you can get some really good speed with a jet boat. We usually ran faster than all the superstocks (prop driven 427's) and some of the prostocks in our region. We ran 495 and 500ci N/A fuel injected and carb engines in our boats. We started drag boat racing a few years back (instead of circle) and turned one of our boats into a 9 second 1/4 boat. Hope the info helps. Good Luck! :cheers:

Edited by foxySS (see edit history)

Thanks for the info...thats some pretty cool stuff about your dad.....im definately goin big block...gonna see what it takes to get the 455 to make some good RPM's...i know Olds are known for not so great valvetrains...if its a lost cause ill go 454 or maybe 502....i know what i can do w/ those...the pump has been rebuilt on this one...its a Berkley 12-JE...so im not worried about that...iv been wanting a jet boat for a while...so im goin for it......once again...the Cobra is for sale...lol

Im about 1 phone call away from buying a boat/new project...Its a 1976 GLastron Carlson CVX20..350 Olds powered..Berkley Jet drive...great shape really..I was wondering if anyone had any info or knew where i could look some info up on these boats...iv een googling all morning and havent found a whole lot.  You guys always seem to have all kinds of info on so many different things I figured Id give it a shot...heres what she looks like.....TIA as usual...

102_0885.jpg

102_0886.jpg

102_0888.jpg

102_0890.jpg

102_0891.jpg

102_0893.jpg

DUDE ITS A 20' BOAT WITH A 350.....???? DUDE AT LEAST GET A 454..... FORREALZ... WE GOT A 1989 PLACECRAFT 21.5'.... WITH A 502.... FASTEST WE GOT IT WAS LIKE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN 75-80.... DEPENDING HOW CALM THE WATER IS!!!!! GO BIG BLOCK MAN!!!!

DUDE ITS A 20' BOAT WITH A 350.....???? DUDE AT LEAST GET A 454..... FORREALZ... WE GOT A 1989 PLACECRAFT 21.5'.... WITH A 502.... FASTEST WE GOT IT WAS LIKE ANYWHERE IN BETWEEN 75-80.... DEPENDING HOW CALM THE WATER IS!!!!! GO BIG BLOCK MAN!!!!

For real yo? Thanks for the help but like the rest of my post says....big blocks are already in the plan....and jus for future reference...might wanna check your CAPS lock

For real yo? Thanks for the help but like the rest of my post says....big blocks are already in the plan....and jus for future reference...might wanna check your CAPS lock

lol..... my bad... sorry bout caps!!!!!!! yah read it like a sec after and was like...... ohhhhh ok!!! lol..... dude we blew the 454 we had at first ... and i though a 502 aint gonna be that different... it made a good difference!!!! then pro charger makes some sick superchargers also!!!! for the big blocks!!!

I'm a Jet Boat enthusiast ...

Was just in Idaho at the inlaws and

spent a couple of days in Hells Canyon on the Snake.

Not real fast, but sure makes fishing fun and a great lunch counter ...

Enjoy your project if you decide to go forward with it.

btw: I saw a blue SS while in Lewiston, didnt think a forum member

as it was driving the speed limit ... :)

2005 22' Storm 496 chevy hamilton pump.

Custom-Weld.jpg