Stock engine temp?

nxtnlne

What up fellas.....anybody see this? Sometimes at idle my engine temp gets up around....well above the 200 mark....I'd say 215ish. But as abruptly as it raises it does comes down. Fan kicks and thermostat opens but at 215??????? :confused: Thats scary high!!! I had a 99 suburban with a big block and it only went that high in 112 deg. weather in the desert.It's 70 deg. here in Cali. :dunno: Heats up....cools down..... :banghead: What deg. is the stock thermostat set to open at?

:cheers: Right on, in knew these newer engines run hotter to burn cleaner but 215 is pretty high...I would like for it to run a little cooler with a lower set thermo but how does that affect the ecu cycles? I smell a skunk :jester:

:cheers: Right on, in knew these newer engines run hotter to burn cleaner but 215 is pretty high...I would like for it to run a little cooler with a lower set thermo but how does that affect the ecu cycles? I smell a skunk :jester:

Thats normal for a stock stat, and your dash temp gauge is probably off. I run in the 170's with my 160* stat.

What up fellas.....anybody see this? Sometimes at idle my engine temp gets up around....well above the 200 mark....I'd say 215ish. But as abruptly as it raises it does comes down. Fan kicks and thermostat opens but at 215??????? :confused:  Thats scary high!!! I had a 99 suburban with a big block and it only went that high in 112 deg. weather in the desert.It's 70 deg. here in Cali. :dunno: Heats up....cools down.....  :banghead: What deg. is the stock thermostat set to open at?

my truck did the same thing stock, even with a 160f t-stat. if you are not moving (idling in park) you have no airflow across the radiator. the stock t-stat opens at 187f and circulates coolant thru the radiator, but with no airflow the coolant just keeps getting warmer until it gets up to 226f, at this point the e-fans finally turn on, it quickly cools down and the fans cycle off until it gets to 226f again. it will do this with the stock 187f t-stat or with a 160f t-stat. it also does this in stop and go freeway traffic. it will do this in 50f weather as well. the trans temp also gets real hot when idling in park.

stock pcm settings

fans cycle:

on @ 226f

off @ 219f

Hey mike  :seeya:

Hey Kyle, how's it going.

There will be a street legal race at Fontana in September.

Click here for the schedule.

Its going good, hopefully i'll be all tuned up by then! Thanks for the heads up.