Q for GM parts guys:

Question for you parts counter guys, has GM made a dual or secondary alternator bracket for the LSx/LQx engine, so the truck can be equipped with dual alternators (like the Ford F350 dual alt option)? If so can you reply with the part numbers and info required to do this to the SS, I have to upgrade my charging system and it looks like a single HO alternator will not be able to provide enough current, I'm going to have to run dual alternators and hopefully The General has a bracket somewhere in inventory I can leverage and it won't look or perform like crap. OR if anyone knows of an LSx/LQx specific aftermarket bracket, that might do as well.

Thanks gents -

Mr. P. :)

Question for you parts counter guys, has GM made a dual or secondary alternator bracket for the LSx/LQx engine, so the truck can be equipped with dual alternators (like the Ford F350 dual alt option)?  If so can you reply with the part numbers and info required to do this to the SS, I have to upgrade my charging system and it looks like a single HO alternator will not be able to provide enough current, I'm going to have to run dual alternators and hopefully The General has a bracket somewhere in inventory I can leverage and it won't look or perform like crap.  OR if anyone knows of an LSx/LQx specific aftermarket bracket, that might do as well.

Thanks gents -

i might be able to get you one from stinger... let me make a call...

Well hell then maybe I don't need as much alternator as I first thought; I have an Orion 8004 and Orion 2500D (that's 3200W RMS, ~4500W peak). The two amps have three 100A fused power leads so I just figured I needed 300A for the amplifiers, 145A for the truck (lights, engine, AC, etc), plus some extra for safety's sake and that totals 480A of current so I was thinking two 240A alternators running in parallel? Sound about right to you guys? Or is that under/over kill? :confused: The Iraggi Amputator can put out 180A at idle, with two of them that's 360A capacity, meaning I could run the engine, A/C, and deathmatch the stereo on a high-idle. I think? But if I could do it on a single 320A HO alternator then hey that's money back in my pocket...

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

i think a nice 300 amp alt would do you just fine, i had a tahoe before this and i had about 3000+ watts with a matts 2400 amp ( ot pulled alot of amps trust me) the 145 amp just didnt cut it at all. and it did the job fine with a 240 amp.

Well hell then maybe I don't need as much alternator as I first thought; I have an Orion 8004 and Orion 2500D (that's 3200W RMS, ~4500W peak).  The two amps have three 100A fused power leads so I just figured I needed 300A for the amplifiers, 145A for the truck (lights, engine, AC, etc), plus some extra for safety's sake and that totals 480A of current so I was thinking two 240A alternators running in parallel?  Sound about right to you guys?  Or is that under/over kill?  :confused:  The Iraggi Amputator can put out 180A at idle, with two of them that's 360A capacity, meaning I could run the engine, A/C, and deathmatch the stereo on a high-idle.  I think?  But if I could do it on a single 320A HO alternator then hey that's money back in my pocket...

And remember, that 2500 needs two powers and two grounds to it.....first for me but I gots it under control.... :D

I am putting together an spl truck with 4 kx2500.1s and when I talked to stinger about an alternator, they said a 300 amp would be fine to charge the batteries and keep the voltage up.  And those amps draw a ton of power.
Are you running multiple batteries and/or batcaps?

I think it mainly matters that the batteries are charged....when the amp pulls hard, I dont think it really matters what the alt is, to an extent...the amps will just pull a lot out of the batteries and then your alt is there to fill em back up....I might be wrong....

I called them today. 200 for the bracket if you buy the alts too. or 350 if you dont. it looks like a quality piece. otherwise, I can get you a CRAZY deal on the whole dual set up from Stinger. 2 200 amp alts and the bracket included. pm me and I will give you the price.