Installed new Autowoods steering wheel

I ordered the wheel via one of the site sponsers. It is a black cherry autowoods wheel. I was a bit intimidated by the instructions (wheel puller and airbag removal) considering I can screw up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich :crackup: , but the install instructions were great.

Here is a pic of the old and new wheel:

PB260176.jpg

Here is a pic of the job halfway through...

PB260177.jpg

It all went ok, but during the testdrive I decided to go ahead and remove the plastic covering from the wood, and found a few small scratches.

PB260179.jpg

They look small in the pic, but they are deep and do catch your eye when you are driving. I felt like an idiot for not checking for them first before the install, but the wheel was wrapped so nicely I thought it would be perfect. Autowoods was very apologetic and are sending another wheel right out. I still give them great marks for customer service. They said this can happen rarely during the making of the wheel. Lesson learned for me: Check everything prior to install! :banghead:

Overall, I think the wheel is a cool new look for the interior and it feels great. I give the mod a thumbs up.

I ordered the wheel via one of the site sponsers.  It is a black cherry autowoods wheel.  I was a bit intimidated by the instructions (wheel puller and airbag removal) considering I can screw up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich  :crackup: , but the install instructions were great. 

Here is a pic of the old and new wheel:

PB260176.jpg

Here is a pic of the job halfway through...

PB260177.jpg

It all went ok, but during the testdrive I decided to go ahead and remove the plastic covering from the wood, and found a few small scratches. 

PB260179.jpg

They look small in the pic, but they are deep and do catch your eye when you are driving.  I felt like an idiot for not checking for them first before the install, but the wheel was wrapped so nicely I thought it would be perfect.  Autowoods was very apologetic and are sending another wheel right out.  I still give them great marks for customer service.  They said this can happen rarely during the making of the wheel.  Lesson learned for me:  Check everything prior to install!  :banghead:

Overall, I think the wheel is a cool new look for the interior and it feels great.  I give the mod a thumbs up.

back up the pic a bit so everyone can see the install :cool:

OK, here are some pics of the final look.

Bear in mind, the color DIDN'T come out right in the pics. It is actually a darker wood in real life, which matches the interior like a factory look. It adds a bit of class to a somewhat dour interior....but, I bet my wife will get in the truck, and not even notice the mod! :cheers:

PB260184.jpg

Wtwo.jpg

PB260181.jpg

I'd rate it pretty easy....but slightly time consuming if you are being overly careful like I was. They key is to have the right tools. The steering wheel puller works if you get the one at Sears (my Discount Auto Parts one didn't work). I had never used one before but it was very simple to figure out.

Trust me, if there was a way to screw this up, I would've done it...but it went smoothly (other than the scratches).

It was enlightening how easy the airbag is to come off. No wonder they get stolen from cars so much! :shakehead:

Autoguy...that wheel in your SS is awesome! I would've gone with the CF look, but I'm going to add the molded dark cherry trim as well. I guess I liked the wood so much in my last car (CL600--bought by a forum member) that I'm in wood withdrawal!! :crackup: Here is a pic of that interior....

CL600-4.jpg

You're right on the install....now that I've done it once, it will be a very quick changeover in the future. How hard did you yank your wheel to get it out without the puller? I gave a slight tug, but figured I'd better follow the instructions.

Autoguy...that wheel in your SS is awesome!  I would've gone with the CF look, but I'm going to add the molded dark cherry trim as well.  I guess I liked the wood so much in my last car (CL600--bought by a forum member) that I'm in wood withdrawal!!  :crackup:  Here is a pic of that interior....

CL600-4.jpg

You're right on the install....now that I've done it once, it will be a very quick changeover in the future.  How hard did you yank your wheel to get it out without the puller?  I gave a slight tug, but figured I'd better follow the instructions.

I just gave it a couple palm shots and yanked it off. It worked for both trucks.

I had a wheel puller, but didn't have the special J hoks for the GM Steering wheels, so I ordered them and now I have them for next time.

The important part of this install is giving the airbag time to discharge before removing it from the truck.

Autouy - where did you get that CF steering wheel?  I checked on Autowoods website, but couldn't find that one.

It looks great!

auto guy was lucky enough to get the last one!

Say it isn't so...

What other companies are out there that make similar steering wheels?

Autouy - where did you get that CF steering wheel?  I checked on Autowoods website, but couldn't find that one.

It looks great!

auto guy was lucky enough to get the last one!

Yep....Last on on the Planet!!!! :ughdance:

Wow, I really like that steering wheel, I sure would like to get that for mayself and just might do that. What does a steering wheel puller look like and cost? Someone said you can get them at sears? What dept sells them at Sears and are there different types to pick from?

Oh, and what does this line by Autoguy mean:

"The important part of this install is giving the airbag time to discharge before removing it from the truck"

Do you have to disconnect the trucks battery for 15mins, which turnes off the airbag?

Any info you can provide will be of a big help, I know nothing at all about this stuff.