headliner

ssmx641

• 3 weeks later...

Your headliner is held in place by the upper trim panels. Detach the screws holding the trim then with a use of a panel tool, carefuly loosen and remove the trim pieces. Be sure not to scuff them.

It is indeed important not to destroy the headliner during the process of removing it because that would be a useful source when locating for hanger locations, bolt holes, the centerline etc..

Edited by jester08 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

1. Remove both visors - T-15 or T-20 torx heads

2. Remove the clips for visors - T-15 or T-20 (usually different #1)

3. Remove overhead console - Phillips screw in front, pull down on back (snaps in)

4. Remove both A-pillar post covers (between windsheild and door) - just pull toward center of truck at top of cover. Once top is loose, pull toward roof to get the tabs out of the dash. Watch for your speaker wires on tweeters - unplug

5. Pull down plastic covers where front and back door meet - snaps back in(extended cab)

6. Remove the domelight - pry on side with small slot toward middle and down. The lens will drop down, the opposite side you pry on has a clip on the lens. Once it drops down, remove the power clip to completely remove

7. Remove push plugs at rear (2) with door panel tool

8. Leave back pillar covers in - (where rear seatbelts are)

9. With a pick tool or flathead screwdriver, pull the hard plastic pins on each end of the OS (oh, sh_t) handles straight out. The handles will stay in place, just get the pins about 1.5 inches out - do all 3 handles.

The headliner should drop down in the front. There are two clips under the headliner in the back that are glued in. Just give it a tug forward and they will come loose, which also will get it out from the rear pillar covers. You don't need them for re-install, but take them out or you will have a rattle going on.

I have done at least 50 of these. If you have power tools, you can get it out in about 10 minutes.

Edited by Bluewheelz (see edit history)

• 6 years later...

So I'm gunna bring this thread back from the dead as swade headliner is my next mod.... But I'm also thinking I wana wrap all the plastic in swade aswell( o shit handles,top door latch covers,overhead storage bin,and A pillars ). My first ??? Is what is the best glue/adhesive for carpets and plastic....

And can I lay the new fabric over our factory headliner??

Edit: if anybody has any pics post em tell me your process

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Im interested in seeing how this turns out. Good luck man!

ill post pics and info as I go ....just waiting for a lil warmer weather to pull the headliner so truck isn't so cold inside on early mornings

So I'm gunna bring this thread back from the dead as swade headliner is my next mod.... But I'm also thinking I wana wrap all the plastic in swade aswell( o shit handles,top door latch covers,overhead storage bin,and A pillars ). My first ??? Is what is the best glue/adhesive for carpets and plastic....

And can I lay the new fabric over our factory headliner??

Not sure on the glue, some type of spray on adhesive will work, make sure it says for automotive headliners. I know on the 4th gen Camaro, you would need to peel back the fabric and then put the new covering on the headliner backing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well first informal trip to the fabric shop today learned normal fabric only come in 36"-42" wide well our trucks are 60wide so will need to get upholstery fabric from a place that does custom interiors... But the store I stopped at today said they could possibly special order some. So tomorrow I gota figure up how many yards it'd take and hopefully they can get me some luckily my grandma does a lot of quilting so she be able to help me out alot with this project ....tonight I gave her the width and length of the roof which is 60"wide 80"long + the sunvisors and all the plastic's i wana wrap as well. Her thinking is ill need at lease 5-6yrds of fabric to start well see what happens in next few days

Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Headliners in these trucks are very tricky if removing the whole thing from the vehicle. I noticed you have to nearly fold the headliner to remove it and its not a fun process and mine did not go back in to well by the back window. Very frustrating.

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Ext cab?? Drop it down and slide out the side

Headliners in these trucks are very tricky if removing the whole thing from the vehicle. I noticed you have to nearly fold the headliner to remove it and its not a fun process and mine did not go back in to well by the back window. Very frustrating.

I did my reg can with just straight suede. Not a good idea. I got a wrinkle that drives me crazy. I also did the A pillers in same stuff. They need RE done and I'm not sure how to go about it. I just scuffed the plastic and glued it on and Lil over a year it's developed a few bubbles. Now DGIEPSS had his headliner done at a shop and they used a suede that had a foam backing. Maybe a 1/8 inch or less thick. When I re do mine that's what I'll be looking for and using. His turned out absolutely perfect. Ill try to get pics of both so you can see differance in the next day or 2

I did my reg can with just straight suede. Not a good idea. I got a wrinkle that drives me crazy. I also did the A pillers in same stuff. They need RE done and I'm not sure how to go about it. I just scuffed the plastic and glued it on and Lil over a year it's developed a few bubbles. Now DGIEPSS had his headliner done at a shop and they used a suede that had a foam backing. Maybe a 1/8 inch or less thick. When I re do mine that's what I'll be looking for and using. His turned out absolutely perfect. Ill try to get pics of both so you can see differance in the next day or 2

thats what my grandma kinda was thinking to she said put like a insulator likes what inside a blanket....so looks like you do need some sort of padding also it's just not a lay out spray glue and roll on like I originally thought...Owell I'm set on this I've been just starring at my headliner so long thinking about this I'm guna make it happen it gots me hating the tan on charcoal interior needs to be changed ASAP one way or another LOL....ya pic would be awesome especially of the pillars Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

Ext cab?? Drop it down and slide out the side.

Sounds easy. The headliner is longer than the door openings though. Just tossing my experience with it out there. I had to flex mine to get it out and getting it back in was a whole other battle.