Heat Wrap

CaliChevyV8

Can't hurt, even if you knock the intake temp down 10-degrees that would be a worthwhile improvment IMO. Advice - do not wrap headers unless they're already ceramic coated, the header wrap actually promotes rotting of the tubes.

Mr. P. :)

Can't hurt, even if you knock the intake temp down 10-degrees that would be a worthwhile improvment IMO.  Advice - do not wrap headers unless they're already ceramic coated, the header wrap actually promotes rotting of the tubes.

Mr. P. :)

I'm havin the pacesetter's jet-hot coated. Would they still rot and would it still be a good idea to wrap em?

I'm havin the pacesetter's jet-hot coated. Would they still rot and would it still be a good idea to wrap em?
Don't do it; there is only scant performance improvement and that's only if you are running a lean tune (none of us are). Also, all header companies will instantly void any warranty if wrap was used. What I would do if I had the budget is tell Jet-Hot to use their Sterling coating (it is applied both inside and out, unlike their regular ceramic coating) and I know Sterling coated headers will be literally half the temperature of uncoated tubes; then if you want to go all out (space permitting) fab up a little 2-3" wide heat shield out of aluminum between the header flange and the spark plug boots.

Mr. P.

edit - heat wrap everything else, plumbing & electrical :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

What I would do if I had the budget is tell Jet-Hot to use their Sterling coating (it is applied both inside and out, unlike their regular ceramic coating) and I know Sterling coated headers will be literally half the temperature of uncoated tubes; then if you want to go all out (space permitting) fab up a little 2-3" wide heat shield out of aluminum between the header flange and the spark plug boots.

Mr. P.

edit - heat wrap everything else, plumbing & electrical :thumbs::thumbs:

I talked to a guy at jet-hot and he said when you buy the pacesetters through them they coat the inside & out. He also said that sterling was their standard coating. I guess the regular ceramic coat you are talking about is the one that pacesetter used from them in the past. He said its just $20 extra to choose any of the other colors. You said heat wrap all plumbing and electrical, instead of doing everything what would be the main important things to be benefited by wraping?

I talked to a guy at jet-hot and he said when you buy the pacesetters through them they coat the inside & out. He also said that sterling was their standard coating. I guess the regular ceramic coat you are talking about is the one that pacesetter used from them in the past. He said its just $20 extra to choose any of the other colors. You said heat wrap all plumbing and electrical, instead of doing everything what would be the main important things to be benefited by wraping?

Sorry, I misspoke; I meant to tell you 'fell free to heat wrap anything else'.

I personally would just focus on cutting IATs down, my truck runs like a total dog when it's hot :sick: and I don't know how much insulating the intake tube will help but I would give it a try. Wrapping underhood coolant plumbing is not important IMO. I do wrap/protect fuel and electrical where it comes near exhaust plumbing (starter motor harness is a good example) and in places prone to vapor lock (i.e. BBC fuel line where it runs over the top of valve cover). Fuel temps are not all that critical on a street-driven fuel injected vehicle because under pressure there is nil chance for vapor lock so I would not bother. But anything you can do to help your spark plug boots I would def look into.

Mr. P.

They make heat boots for the wire plugs. My buddy was having his truck dyno'd and he did a run, then they heat wrapped his intake and he said he picked up alittle HP. Not sure how much it really affected it, but I'll let you know how it goes for me.