Quick Paint Removal Question

Corpserodeo666

I was wondering, I have some kind of gunk on my headlights; I think its some sort of paint, because I can't get rid of it for the life of me. I've tried almost all sorts of cleaning products that I could find. I was wondering if it's safe to use acetone or some sort of paint remover to get rid of it. Since it is on plastic is it going to screw it up or not?

Thank You.

I'm not sure what kind of plastic those headlight lenses are made of, maybe polycarbonate? :dunno: Whatever you do don't use any kind of scraper or abrasive. I would try rubbing lightly with WD-40, rubbing alcohol, or maybe even lighter fluid or VM-P grade naptha. Then follow with soap in warm water to remove the cleaner. If all else fails keep an eye on eBay, I just bought a set of headlights for $30.

Mr. P.

Do not use acetone! I have experimented with this to remove paint on a set of tail lights I had and it causes them to crack and look really crappy. I would say use some rubbing compound and a buffer to polish the plastic, just make sure you don't get too much heat into them because you could melt them if you get them hot.

I was wondering, I have some kind of gunk on my headlights; I think its some sort of paint, because I can't get rid of it for the life of me. I've tried almost all sorts of cleaning products that I could find.  I was wondering if it's safe to use acetone or some sort of paint remover to get rid of it. Since it is on plastic is it going to screw it up or not?

Thank You.

I've used a product by Meguiar's called "Plastic-X" I used on my tailights to remove a small scrape with paint on it some pice of s*%t left for me as a present in a parking lot. I was skeptical that it wouldn't work but it did. It's basicly like a claener-wax for plastic and it doesn't leave a haze either. Also I tried claying it and it didn't work so, good luck to you... :chevy: