TruCool Max cooler

man how hot is it where you live?? those seem high to me, i have a hgih stall and a blower and mine never get over 170 and i live in 100+ weather. the only time i saw them get high was on a trip up a mountian., the cooler should get your temps down more than that.

I agree. May want to look at your converter settings as well. You may never get into a locked mode at your cruising speed causing alot of slipping and heat. I know if I drive around below my various setpoints, my trans temp climbs that high. Have you had it on the highway at say 60mph +? ...Not that 180 is crazy hot but you should be lower.

Did you install the thermostat? Is it in series with the radiator? The thermostat will bring the temps up, but the one they sell with the TCMax is a bit too high IMO, the running temp of the tranny needs to be 145-160. When I first installed the cooler in my truck the tranny temps were always 170 (thermostat) but as the tranny fluid broke down the temps kept rising and now I need to change my tranny fluid (20K-miles on Mobil-1 synthetic) and the highway temps are about 185. So, condition of the tranny fluid matters, and I'm going to remove my thermostat, or alter it's set point to 150-degrees if I get ambitious.

Mr. P.

Yes i did install the thermostat. I cut the stock hoses from the part where they are rubber and i stuck the thermostat in between there and the cooler. My trans fluid is brand new. I would expect mine to be hotter than yours as i have more mods. So im assuming the only way to fix this then Mr. P. would be to remove it?

Actually I was thinking since I have a TCS 2800 converter it would beat-up the fluid more in daily use. Did you put the thermostat in backwards? Another idea is to find 2 pieces of scrap 3/8" steel fuel line (3" long) and put in place of the thermostat, just to see what the difference is. Other issue might be that the cooler core is not getting adequate airflow.

TruCool3-ani.gif

Mr. P.

I am almost 100% sure I put the thermostat in the right way. And

I know its getting enough air. I put the tranny cooler right where the stock one is and there is nothing in front of it. And dont you think if I put the thermo in backwards it would not work at all? Like block fluid from gettin through? :dunno: I have a TT2600 with an FLT l5 tranny with a radix behind it all. Wouldnt you think mine would be a little hotter than yours? I dunno :dunno:

Edited by jboyss (see edit history)

Your converter should run a small tad cooler than mine in city traffic, all things equal; the temps should be the same on the highway (both are in lock-up). Of course when you're on the gas you are making a lot more heat than I am but off-boost it that should not matter. I agree with Chase, substitute the thermostat for two pieces of steel tubing and observe the difference.

Mr. P.

I figured out the problem. It was the thermostat. It must be set for like 180 or something. I just took my stock hard lines and cut them like 3" long and stuck them in the place of the thermostat and now i find it difficult for my trans to even get warm. Its def doing a good job now. Only when i get on it will it get up to like 145. normally it sits around like 125-135.