Headers

orlando

Not sure of what stock SSS manifolds look like on the inside... (*embarrassed*) but I don't think you'll see a 20 ft lbs of torque gain from removing stock manifolds and bolting on any shorty style header that has a short collector. Not in my opinion.

Shorty headers are more a "convenience" header than a performance modification in most cases. They are made to fit in a confined space, and allow a headpipe to bolt up. That's it. The short collector is NOT good for performance. It won't kill performance over a dead stock exhaust manifold, but it won't net a 20 ft lb gain either.

I would take a look at Dynatech Long Tube headers. They are about the closest thing to 'bolt right on' as you will find in long tube headers, all others will require some form of modification, as I have heard. They are over a grand, but you will be happier with these over any shortys.

get a towing cam, price is around the same only installation price will be more.

Anyone have a recomendation and/or reasoning for choosing a towing cam. I tow a 7000 trailer and short of going to a stroker I am wondering how to get a bit more torque as well.

I'm looking for more tq and the shortys say 20lb of tq.  Is this true?  I want6 something simple to install.  Any ideas.  03 4x4 sub 5.3.  Or is it just a waist of cash?  I need more TQ....Thamks

I've got an 03 5.3L Silverado, and put shorty headers on. Can't tell a dam bit of difference....cep they look nicer. Just by looks, I'd say the stock manifolds are decent flowing?! If you're looking for power gains, I'd go long tube, or save up for a Radix charger.

Edited by jdub396 (see edit history)