flowmaster 40 guys

rivierakid55

so yesterday i am at my buddies exhaust shop here in mountain view discussing exhaust of course and the flowmaster rep happens to be there. we get to talking and basically the jist of all this conversation was this: he "strongly" discourages using any 40 series muffler on newer computer controlled cars. his example was a video he showed me of an 06 hemi charger with dual 40 series flows that sounded great but performed like a teird. he actually says that the 40 series will choke off some power off the newer computer controlled engines. just a tidbit of information for anyone flowmaster users to ponder.

soon to be "not flowmaster exhaust owner"

i wonder why it would matter if computer controlledor not. there is no way for a muffler to know the difference

sounds like bs

:withstupid: I'm with Quik, it's like putting tires on a 1970 chevy and a 2005... they do the same thing, regardless of the technology that runs the vehicle.

as far as the 40 series not working well with PCM controlled vehicles,....thats B.S. no way a PCM or a muffler can tell one way or the other.

HOWEVER, we all know that flowmasters are not the most free flowing mufflers. they used to be top dog a few years back, but newer technology (magnaflow) has been proven to flow better. Im guessing this is what this "rep" is talking about. i was willing to give up performance for sound. I tried 3 different exhausts before i found one i liked. i knew going into it that flowmasters don't have the flow that other mufflers do, but you just can't beat the sound of them. on my application, i might be down about 10-15hp for using the flowmasters over something better but on a stock truck, the differences are null. we're talking maybe 1 or 2hp.

FYI -- I just changed my dual 3" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 40's to a Magnaflow DI/DO 3" muffler (with x-pipe built in) and I can notice a BIG difference. Part throttle and low end torque are wayy better... and it pulls harder up top. I think it sounds better... quieter, but deeper... not loud and ratty... the Magnaflow is much better! I threw those POS Flowmasters out as soon as I got home. Before I couldnt spin my tires from launching (2000rpm brake stall) now I can break them loose no problem!!

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

as far as the 40 series not working well with PCM controlled vehicles,....thats B.S.  no way a PCM or a muffler can tell one way or the other.

HOWEVER, we all know that flowmasters are not the most free flowing mufflers.  they used to be top dog a few years back, but newer technology (magnaflow) has been proven to flow better.  Im guessing this is what this "rep" is talking about.  i was willing to give up performance for sound.  I tried 3 different exhausts before i found one i liked.  i knew going into it that flowmasters don't have the flow that other mufflers do, but you just can't beat the sound of them.  on my application, i might be down about 10-15hp for using the flowmasters over something better but on a stock truck, the differences are null.  we're talking maybe 1 or 2hp.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid::withstupid: and boy does the sound brighten your day

• 3 weeks later...

To keep this on the subject. I really think thats it's your personal opinion on what kind of sound you like, I mean I like my magnaflow; I mean it does sound kind of quite on the idle, but when you lay on it, it really blows lots of mufflers out of the water. Hell if you just like it loud run it straight through (no cats and no mufflers) but if you like it toned and not raspy I'd def. go with a magnaflow over the Flowmaster.

As far as the whole PCM ordeal goes I think, the rep is really putting Flowmasters most popular muffler series down. No way a PCM or a muffler can tell one way or the other. The best test ever done on mufflers as far as power output and sound can be found right here.

It's a few years old but its got all the major ones.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=890071

i have heard that duel exaust is not the way to go on an our engines because we do not have enough compression unless you have FI.  so mufflers do very little until you have a lot of air running through. like someone else said only a few hp at most.

at 10.08:1 compression, how much higher do you want?