New truck Do's and Donts? 06 SS

Badkarma

I'm just going to come out and say it, this is my first new vehichle, ever. My wife and I have been driving our 72 camaro for the past 5 years and know how hard we can beat on it, granted its built faily stout, with a TCI trans, 30 spline Moser axles and a GMPP ZZ383. Now thats is a fairly bullet proof, ideot proof car. Now this truck on the other hand is a whole new world to both of us, with the tracktion control OD trans with a towing switch on the shifter. I really dont know how I should treat this truck, shifting it like the maro is just out, since it has no shift kit. I like how the tow botton holds the gear longer but I realy dont know if thats good for it in daily driving. Heck, I dont even know what I should exspect to pay when I take it in for its first oil change. I'm used to changing rear end fluid at 300 miles in and performance type ride, also wondering what the dealer will chager for that as I am at 299 miles now * whooohooo* I much rather do it myself being a gearhead at heart, but since I got the extended warranty I dont want to give them a loophole to shaft me later down the line if I do and maintance myself. Basically I'm proud as hell that I got an SS for my first new car buy, I just want to get the most out of it and treat it right, So any advice would be very welcome.

Don't be afraid of doing your own maintenance, you will not void any warranty in doing so. At 500-miles R&R engine oil and filter, and rear diff, then don't be afraid to flog the piss out of it. After 3500-miles, change oil to synthetic (Mobil1 5W-30 or better). I'm with you on this one, I do *all* my own maintenance. I've found the truck to actually be a joy to work on (overall) compared to past vehicles.

The tow/haul button's job is to temporarily alter shift points to torque peak RPM. The LQ9 makes peak torque at 4000-RPM and peak power at 5600-RPM, so with the T/H button off (normal shift mode) the PCM will shift at the peak HP point. The 4L65E as delivered is a big weak point in the truck (probably the single biggest weakness) and a shift kit/servos are mandatory if you want any kind of longevity out of it; since the PCM will have to be retuned as well add in a catback, CAI, and torque converter - the truck will be a whole new animal.

Mr. P. :)

Don't be afraid of doing your own maintenance, you will not void any warranty in doing so.  At 500-miles R&R engine oil and filter, and rear diff, then don't be afraid to flog the piss out of it.  After 3500-miles, change oil to synthetic (Mobil1 5W-30 or better).  I'm with you on this one, I do *all* my own maintenance.  I've found the truck to actually be a joy to work on (overall) compared to past vehicles.

The tow/haul button's job is to temporarily alter shift points to torque peak RPM.  The LQ9 makes peak torque at 4000-RPM and peak power at 5600-RPM, so with the T/H button off (normal shift mode) the PCM will shift at the peak HP point.  The 4L65E as delivered is a big weak point in the truck (probably the single biggest weakness) and a shift kit/servos are mandatory if you want any kind of longevity out of it; since the PCM will have to be retuned as well add in a catback, CAI, and torque converter - the truck will be a whole new animal.

Mr. P. :)

Awome, Thanks for the replie!

Archived