N00b PCM Questions

johnny5th

Hey guys, ive been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and am learning a ton. I'm not that knowledgeable on cars so excuse my ignorance.

So far, all ive gotten done to my 03 SS, is a Dual In/Out Flowmaster Muffler Dumped, but i was thinking the next thing i wanted to do was a PCM tune.

Is this the right thing to do next? Do i want to put in a cooler thermostat, or a CAI first?

Ive been searching around alot, and ive seen mixed answers to the questions, so im kind of confused on what to do next.

Also, i hear that i can do a bunch of cool things with the Tow/Haul mode with a new PCM tune. Is it "Tow Off: Save Gas/Normal Mode" and "Tow on: Gas goes fast/Race Mode" ?

Again sorry if my questions are stupid, but I know i can get way more out of my truck if i do everything the right way the first time. :driving:

TIA,

Johnny5th

:pop:

Welcome fellow Texan tx_patriot.gif The only thing the T/H button controls is transmission shift behavior; it does not alter spark or fuel delivery at all so the T/H button cannot make the engine more or less powerful. What it does is change shift pressures, shift & kickdown points, lockup, etc.

Getting a PCM tune is a very good idea. If you are considering a low-temp thermostat then you better get that installed before PCM tuning, it will matter. It is best to get all the hard parts assembled together first before getting a PCM tune, but a CAI will not make a huge difference on your aftermarket PCM tune, IMO I would not sweat it if you got tuned first and the CAI later.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Johnny, from personal experience just spend the extra couple hundred and get a custom tune done. I kick myself in the A$$ for doin the mail order tune. Just try to locate someone in texas with a dyno that can tune you

So far, the only place ive found is 2-3 hrs away from here. I'd do it if it were worth 4-6 hrs driving + gas + extra for custom tune :dunno:

Mr. P,

I think i'm mainly gonna go for a few baby steps till i can work up some more cash. but ive heard that exhaust/CAI/PCM were the best/cheapest first mods for power.

After that i think i'll have a few things done for asthetics. Too many old people around here to find people to race :lol: at least i gotta look cool :smash: