Rear Leafs

Blaker888

Heres my problem, ever time I punch the gas from a 30 roll pr higher my rear end drops and when I let off it recoils like it tryin to give whiplash or somthing :cry: its hard to explain but my truck dosnt fill solid in the rear just really springy! It almost like I have Hydraulics front to back front to back! :mad: Also it feels like the rearend is going to touch the ground when I launch from a light never has but it just feels that way! I wat it to plant and go not a$$ end sink then go then bounce when I let off! The truck has stock shocks and a 2/4 drop keys in the front 3 inch leaf and shackles in the rear! I leave it to u fine gentlemen to help PLEASE! :tear:

yup sounds like it....you need to get new shocks....chase and others have had luck with the beltech nitro shocks

I have the belltech leaf packs with the nitro shocks works for me. I just don't have the shackles. But they tell you with 3" you should change out the shocks.

Did you remove the factory bump stops? If not you're hitting them. Mine did the same thing until I removed them. I also added air lift technologies air lift bags.

Dave

I removed that bracket in between the bump stop and the frame the bump stop is also cut down if I didnt have the bump stops it would hit the frame! or the tires would rubb! Im going to buy knew shock and sway bar to see what that will do! :sigh:

So you must be right at 4" of drop in the rear which is exactly where I am and yes it sux with the stock wheels because you will rub the outside of your tires since there isn't enough back spacing on the wheels. I rolled the lip and cured that problem when I had my stock wheels on. I would guess you need some shocks. I am also running stock shocks and it's not as bad as you describe which might partly be because I have more weight with the gaylords tonneau cover. I also have no bumpstops at all in the rear and rarely bottom out, mainly around corners with a rather large dip when the rear articulates. BTW I am not running these leafs I have hangers and shackles with stock leafs but that shouldn't really matter. I would suggest trying it with no bumpstops at all and seeing what happends because IMO with 4" of drop there is absolutly no room for any kind of bumpstop since you only have 2" from the housing to the frame so you are most likely bouncing off the bumpstops fairy hard.

I talk to a budy of mine who has a shop who just does lowering and lifting of trucks and he said it maybe because of how thin the leaf spring! If Im correct we have a off road suspension from the factory so that means heavy leafs but now sense I have lowered it I have the thinner leafs I looked at them last night and there is only three of them on each leaf spring so is that the same as stock? I removed the bump stops and still the same as for the rubbing I cant tell if they are catching the fender or not! I will play with it some more and let u guys know!

Thanks for the help

Blake :)

• 3 weeks later...
Did you remove the factory bump stops? If not you're hitting them. Mine did the same thing until I removed them. I also added air lift technologies air lift bags.

Dave

I removed that bracket in between the bump stop and the frame the bump stop is also cut down if I didnt have the bump stops it would hit the frame! or the tires would rubb! Im going to buy knew shock and sway bar to see what that will do! :sigh:

sorry this is off topic,but where did you get your bumper insert lights on your ss??? :D

Edited by BOSS_SS (see edit history)

• 1 month later...