500 Mile service

I'm getting ready to do the fluid change on the rear end since I'm close to 500 break in miles on the truck. I just looked the other day and the rear has a drain plug and fill plug * yay no mess!* Anyhow, Do I just fill until it trickles out the fill hole? I've done a few searches and its close is I can find it takes between 2-3 qts of fluid. I'm guessing that is how I would do it but I just want to make sure.

Whoohoo! Got my first chore with the truck done today. First oil change and changed the lube in the diff. Man this thing is so easy to work on compared to what im used to. Only supprise was the diff to about 3.5 quarts, that threw me a little. Made sure I did the figure 8's as advised, everything feels good. When I switch to syn at about 3000 I think I will have a tranny service done then also and refill with syn there to. I figure its like chicken soup, it cant hurt!

I thought we decided that you are supposed to leave the fluid down a little ... there was a change and ... not to fill until it runs out?

That's correct and the fluid specification is for 75W-90 synthetic.

From GM SI info for the 2006 Silverado is:

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant GM part # 12378261

The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.

so....from what i gather we dont top it off but just barely top it off....and this is for all Silverado (SS) regardless of year? or 2006 *bear with me everyone just making sure there is a clarification*

so....from what i gather we dont top it off but just barely top it off....and this is for all Silverado (SS) regardless of year? or 2006 *bear with me everyone just making sure there is a clarification*

The 2003 GM SI shows the same info as 2006. These trucks leave the factory with synthetic fluid in the rear axle.

GM SI states to fabricate a dipstick from a pipe cleaner or similar material with a 90 degree bend in the dipstick. The fluid level is to be at the distance specified below the bottom of the fill plug hole.

That's correct and the fluid specification is for 75W-90 synthetic.

From GM SI info for the 2006 Silverado is:

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant GM part # 12378261

The proper level for the 1500 Series is from 5/8 inch to 1 5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole.