valve spring tool question

popeye55

i am getting ready to install a new cam in my SS. first question is what type of spring tool will i need to get out the valve springs? i've heard the back ones are tough? also should i replace a the timing cover crank seal? lastly how strong is the factory cam chain..should it be replaced, it only has 22,000 miles? thanks

i am getting ready to install a new cam in my SS.  first question is what type of spring tool will i need to get out the valve springs? i've heard the back ones are tough? also should i replace a the timing cover crank seal? lastly how strong is the factory cam chain..should it be replaced, it only has 22,000 miles? thanks

Almost any in head spring remover will work for the trucks. The rear ones aren't nearly as hard as they are on the F-bodies.

Always replace the timing cover seal. It's to cheap not to do it right the first time around.

Replace the cam chain with a double roller if you plan to rev past 6500 RPM is what I've read.

• 1 year later...

I sell a tool we designed back in 2001 for installation and removal of the Valve Springs on 2002 TA. We decided to make them and pass them on to others since they are inexpensive, safe, and very easy to use tool.. This tool will work on LS1 LS2 LS6 LS7 Trans Am, Firebird, Camaro, Corvette, GTO and 5.3, 6.0 Liter GMC and Chevy Truck Engines. Included is the Tool, Slotted head Stud, 2 washers, Nut, and an instruction sheet. This tool will work with both single or dual spring applications. I ship via USPS Priorty Mail.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at:

[email protected] or shoot me a PM

Tool is $ 30 Shipped.

I sell a package kit for $50 which includes the Spring Tool, then a Tool that you screw into the spark plug hole and then your air compressor to fill the cylinder with compressed to hole up your valves which is the safest way of changing springs.

I accept payment via PayPal, Money Order, or Personal Checks.

My PayPal ID is: [email protected]

Check out my other thread on LS1Tech.com for tons of feedback under the tool section.

Thanks,

Tim