22s and offset

Searched the forum, and a few others, and still have not gotten a solid answer to my question.

Probably getting 22s next month. Emailed Diablo and they are saying I want the 22x9.5" version of the wheel with a +13 offset and 79.1mm (3.07")center bore

I have a 2/3 (2" Spindles, 3" Leafs) drop and want to know if these are going to stick out at all. Or basically what to expect as far as potential rubbing.

All the years I've been modifying cars, I've never quite gotten the hang of wheels.

Looking to go with 305-40-22 , 265-40, or 285-35 tires, whatever fits.

I have two options for the wheels I'm getting. Both are 9.5" wide, either +13mm or +40mm. Pretty sure I can't use the +13mm even though that's what Diablo recommended. Here are my figures

10.5" wide / 2 = 5.25" Centerline

+13mm = .5" Offset

5.25" centerline + .5" offset = 5.75" Backspace (4.75" front space)

or...

+40.. = 1.57" Offset

5.25" Centerline + 1.57" Offset = 6.82" Backspace (3.68" Frontspace)

Can someone(s) confirm for me that I'm going to want the +40mm offset with our suspension? I know it's practically double the stock offset, not sure how thats going to work out. Also, any recommendations on tire size? Seems like the 285-35s would be the way to go..

Thanks for any advice.

I was hoping to use 305s, figured they would rub though. Mathmatics tells me the 9.5" +40mm wheel will be sunken in .2" compared to the 8.5" +22mm factory 20. Works in theory. Just want to be certain before I pass an ass-ton to have these things shipped, and then not be able to use them.

I was hoping to use 305s, figured they would rub though. Mathmatics tells me the 9.5" +40mm wheel will be sunken in .2" compared to the 8.5" +22mm factory 20. Works in theory. Just want to be certain before I pass an ass-ton to have these things shipped, and then not be able to use them.

With 305/40/22's you will have less side wall sticking out than you do with the 20's and when I had my 20's I just rubbed the fenderlip on the side wall in the rear. That will put you right around 6.257" of B.S. It'll be close and you may need to do a bit of massaging (roll the lip) in the rear to clear the lip and save your tires but thats no biggie. The 285/35 is gonna be a very short tire and you probably won't gain much clearance as far as width goes.

My buddy brought his Tahoe over yesterday and we swapped his 22s onto my truck.

KMC Clyde 22x9.5 w/ 305-40-22, +18mm Offset

They fit perfectly, stuck out maybe 1/8" in the rear though. Took it for a drive and had no rubbing even at full lock. Jumped up and down on the bed and still had pleanty of fender clearance.

So I think I'm going to go with the +13mm Diablos. There will be a .2" offset difference between those and the +18mm Clydes.

According to Nitto's website and the 420s 'inflated specs' If I go down to 285-45-22 tires I'll drop a full inch in width and go up .52" in height compared to the 305-40-22s. So that should more than negate the difference in offset and may even flush the rear tire with the fender a bit more. Not looking forward to the extra sidewall height, but it's pretty negligable overall. Will raise me .25" and fill in the fender .25" not a huge deal. Would rather do that that have the tire sticking out past the fender.

Going +40 I rub I believe I run the risk of rubbing the inner fenderwell.

Edited by Blk06Limited (see edit history)