Headers

Pierce911

I pick my SS up on Wednesday and I am already trying to figure out what I want to put on it.

What are my options as far as headers go? Which are the best and where did you order them? Is it worth the hassle for me to install them myself (how tough is it)? Are there any differences I should know about from 2003 to 2004 models when looking into most of the mods listed on this site?

Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Long tube headers will make the biggest difference in power. Arizona Speed Marine are the best so far. These will require you to cut and weld onto your stock exhaust pipe. Shorty headers like JBA and Gibson aren't really worth the money.

I did my header install myself, but I have a welder.

Long tube headers will make the biggest difference in power. Arizona Speed Marine are the best so far. These will require you to cut and weld onto your stock exhaust pipe. Shorty headers like JBA and Gibson aren't really worth the money.

I did my header install myself, but I have a welder.

Hey Big Tex,

What kinda power do you think you can expect from adding those??

thanks! :cool:

I have exhaust, intake, and superchip...out of these three the only one I have really felt a difference out of is the chip. Not to say that they have not given any results, but when you are working with a 5k+ vehicle with 345hp the little 10 and 25 hp bolt ons really aren't noticeable. I am ready for a damn SUPERCHARGER!

I won't be buying anymore tidbits. Although with a SC I'm sure the synergistic effect of having all of these components would be much more appreciated. So maybe I will get some headers too....I just wont get all excited waiting for a big kick in the pants as I have for the previously mentioned trinkets.

sorry for getting off topic

Ahhh I feel better now. :D

I agree with Tex, ASM headers are the best to date. :thumbs: As for performance gains they definitely made a difference, seat of the pants Dyno tells me about 20hp…it has been 2 months since I have had them installed so the truck feels normal again, still waiting for the weather to get into the 70’s so I can go back to Firebird raceway and get a better run to show myself some justification for the purchase of the headers. :crazy:

BTW phoenix was 104dg today, :eek: hopefully before the end of the year I’ll be able to go to the track again…. :sigh:

I agree with Tex, ASM headers are the best to date. :thumbs: As for performance gains they definitely made a difference, seat of the pants Dyno tells me about 20hp…it has been 2 months since I have had them installed so the truck feels normal again, still waiting for the weather to get into the 70’s so I can go back to Firebird raceway and get a better run to show myself some justification for the purchase of the headers. :crazy:

BTW phoenix was 104dg today, :eek: hopefully before the end of the year I’ll be able to go to the track again…. :sigh:

Is that to the wheels?

You can usually expect about 10hp from a set of shorty headers. They can be installed without any cutting or welding required. The mid-length/long tubes are usually good for about 20-25 rwhp. You'll need to cut the Y-pipe for these. SuperMaxx now has a complete header package for the 6.0. It comes with a set of long tube headers along with a highflow Y-pipe and cats. This has been very popular for the 5.3s and can be installed with no welding required.

Tom

If you go to the jegs website they claim that the Edlebrock T.E.S headers will shave up to one full second off your 0-60 time. Does anyone know anything about these. The only bad thing about them is that they don't show the ceramic coat available for the 6.0. They only show the black, high temp painted to be available.

If you go to the jegs website they claim that the Edlebrock T.E.S headers will shave up to one full second off your 0-60 time.

Well you know the saying, if it sounds to good to be true…

Thats versus the stock 75% flow-blocked manifolds. You know the kind right? ;) We'd all be jumping on these if they actually did what it claims, right?

Dan Ferraro at www.clearimageautomotive.com is getting set up to make header that will fit our trucks I have a set of Tri-Ys on my Impala SS and they gave me about 20-25 extra HP. Stay tuned to his site, and I will also up date when I hear more. :thumbs:

QUOTE (blackhawk @ Oct 26 2003, 11:56 PM)

If you go to the jegs website they claim that the Edlebrock T.E.S headers will shave up to one full second off your 0-60 time. 

Well you know the saying, if it sounds to good to be true… 

Thats versus the stock 75% flow-blocked manifolds. You know the kind right?  We'd all be jumping on these if they actually did what it claims, right?

LOL :lol:

Hey go get the new issue of Car Craft, there is a great article on everything you want to know about headers in it... :thumbs:

Archived