Wind noise?

Badkarma

OK, it's quiet now! After $2 in Vaseline not a peep. I undid the latches, opened the windows as far as I could and spuuhhh-looooooged a ton of petroleum jelly on the weather strip and buckled the windows. The Vaseline worked so well that the window is totally gasketed to the weatherstrip and damn-dear impossible to reopen! But in the 3 years I've had the truck I've never opened the rear windows so I figure that I'm not going to be missing anything but the wind noise. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think i'm going to do the same thing Mr. P.   I also had my passenger side rear window replaced under warranty and after a few weeks it started leaking again.   :banghead:
Make it easy on yourself - buy the petroleum jelly in a tube and lay down a 1/4" bead down the middle of the seal and close the window - you won't see anything from outside and I only had minor cleanup in a couple places. But if you put the petroleum jelly on too thick the excess will run down the inside of the window when it gets hot from sitting in the sun :banghead: Edited by misterp (see edit history)

So the warranty will replace the window or the weather strips.......I think I might just take it in, that noise is getting annoying.

That's funny,I thought it was just my truck.

Thank God for the SS forum. :thumbs: He must drive a Chevy. :jester:

But in the 3 years I've had the truck I've never opened the rear windows so I figure that I'm not going to be missing anything but the wind noise.  :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Now that you said that you'll have to open them for some reason or another every other day :jester:

So the warranty will replace the window or the weather strips.......I think I might just take it in, that noise is getting annoying.

That's funny,I thought it was just my truck.

Thank God for the SS forum. :thumbs:  He must drive a Chevy. :jester:

The entire window assembly gets replaced. :sigh: And they ALL do it. :sigh::sigh:

I wondering the same thing, I know its not any of the side windows. To me it sounds like wind noise from wind whipping through the grill, thats the best I can describe it. Is it an windshield problem? If its not all in my head I'd like to take it in and have the knuckle draggers fix it.

It's frrreeezzzing cold here and I'm getting some noise from the sun roof. Can't figure out if it's the cold hardening the seals or the rock hard chunk of ice stuck right above the windshield. Either way, is a dab of vaseline once in a while a good trick?

Yeah I had my entire rear passenger window assembly replaced and it was great for about 3 weeks. Then at speeds over 50 it started up again :banghead: . Piss poor design IMO. I'm gonna give the 1/4 bead of vaseline a try. Hell I never open the rear windows anyway. Thanks for the tip Mr. P :thumbs:

Yeah I had my entire rear passenger window assembly replaced and it was great for about 3 weeks.  Then at speeds over 50 it started up again  :banghead: .  Piss poor design IMO.  I'm gonna give the 1/4 bead of vaseline a try.    Hell I never open the rear  windows anyway.    Thanks for the tip Mr. P  :thumbs:
Yeah I had the exact same situation, dealer replaced the rear window and it was fine for about a month. :mad:

Honestly this is an experiment, I'm curious to see if it will still be airtight after 2-3 months but for now all quiet. :thumbs: Another question I have is what will happen in the summer when the sun beats down on the truck and heats the vaseline to 130+ degrees... we'll see when the time comes I guess. Maybe there is something that can stand the heat better, but petroleum jelly was the only stuff that came to mind which would not permanently adhere the window shut or otherwise hurt the weatherstrip (on the contrary vaseline is very good for weatherstripping).

Mr. P.

i changed my factory window latches. i've already noticed an improvement! (note: improvement, not solution) i have heard of someone doing what i did but in addition putting petroleum jelly to seal it off like a gasket. i believe it was misterp who posted on that. but for now the aftermarket latches are great