Wind noise?

Badkarma

i changed my factory window latches. i've already noticed an improvement! (note: improvement, not solution) i have heard of someone doing what i did but in addition putting petroleum jelly to seal it off like a gasket. i believe it was misterp who posted on that. but for now the aftermarket latches are great

:cool: Yeah I had the same result with the eBay latches, great improvement but not airtight.

After one week the petroleum jelly is still working great, no leaks even at triple-digit speeds :thumbs: I'm praying that when April comes I won't have it melting/dripping everywhere but for now it's good.

Mr. P. :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i changed my factory window latches. i've already noticed an improvement! (note: improvement, not solution) i have heard of someone doing what i did but in addition putting petroleum jelly to seal it off like a gasket. i believe it was misterp who posted on that. but for now the aftermarket latches are great

:cool: Yeah I had the same result with the eBay latches, great improvement but not airtight.

After one week the petroleum jelly is still working great, no leaks even at triple-digit speeds :thumbs: I'm praying that when April comes I won't have it melting/dripping everywhere but for now it's good.

well like you said, at least it's nothing that will damage anything on your truck, maybe just result in a bit of a mess, but still.. no damage :)

well like you said, at least it's nothing that will damage anything on your truck, maybe just result in a bit of a mess, but still.. no damage :)

keep us posted on the results of your experiment

Does anyone have a front stone deflector on their hood? I previously had one of these on my truck and it disrupted the airflow over the windshield and made a "whistling/flapping" noise. My quess is it created a negative pressure over the windshield gaskets and caused them to lift up when driving over 50+ mph. Other members have experienced this problem also.

Edited by NebraSSka truck (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
I just installed the latches, and like has been said a couple of times above, it doesnt fix it completely.  I'm going to try the petroleum jelly next.

If that doesn't seal it, I'll try some silicone.

Petroleum jelly still working well, use very little, just enough to skim the surface of the gasket. I used way too much and the sun made the excess run down the side of the truck, nothing bad at all just some cussing while I cleaned it off with Windex and a microfiber towell.

Mr. P.

I just installed the latches, and like has been said a couple of times above, it doesnt fix it completely.  I'm going to try the petroleum jelly next.

If that doesn't seal it, I'll try some silicone.

Petroleum jelly still working well, use very little, just enough to skim the surface of the gasket. I used way too much and the sun made the excess run down the side of the truck, nothing bad at all just some cussing while I cleaned it off with Windex and a microfiber towell.

Mr. P.

Thanks Mr. P. Has anyone attempted the silicone?

was having the same noise with mine. went to the dealer, and told them to fix it,

i was going to leave the truck for the day so it can go to a glass shop, called me 30 min. later saying it's done. they reajusted the door from what they told me, and 4 month later, NO wind noise up to 120 :thumbs:

good luck ......

:seeya:

Thanks Mr. P. Has anyone attempted the silicone?
I would not advise that. Silicone was my first thought, but it will attack the rubber and permanently bond the seal to the glass, you would have to cut the window out in the future to get it open again, so that's what made me decide to give the petroleum jelly a try. Unless you are wanting to permanently seal the window :dunno:

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

just need a louder muffler that will cure the wind noise i used to have the wind noise too but i dumped the magnaflow and added a couple of tens under the seat so no more wind noise.i work at an upholstery shop we replace glass and its too scary i would not cut my windows out hope i never need a windshield. :chevy::chevy:

post-6481-1169184279_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the same wind noise coming from the rear passenger window right before I deployed overseas. What I have used for years to help keep weatherstriping on vehicles soft and moist is a small white bucket of silicone lubricant my dad has. I wash the vehicle and take a rag and smear some on the seals real thick, and let it soak for a few minutes. After a bit I come back and wipe the excess off and the WS and seals feels soft and *new*. It really helps around window molding when it gets beat in with the sun. But I do plan on getting the aftermarket latches or see if there is an adjustment for the passenger doors. What gets me... maybe the window and seal is just not beveled in enough? Maybe if it were sunk in more they wouldn't leak at all...??? :confused: I hate Ebay, any direct website for the latches? :thumbs:

...What I have used for years to help keep weatherstriping on vehicles soft and moist is a small white bucket of silicone lubricant my dad has. ...
That's what you're *supposed* to do - but I cannot find this product or another like it; can you tell me what brand/product you are using? I would like to do this to the rest of my weatherstripping.

I will send my Father an email, see if he can get the details off the jug and maybe a picture. *I am still overseas until April* :banghead: All I know is that the stuff works wonders, and it makes the WS seal better and is easy to use. His jug is a small white tub of brown looking semi coagulated gunk, so you have to stir it a little before applying. Will send him an email.