New Tires

Bonj87

ok so now im in the new casa de bonj, and have a 70 mile daily round trip drive for work every day via I80. I now feel how bad my tires actually are getting. they are stock goodyears. when i got the truck, i loved these tires.. but looking at discounttire.com and other sites, i cant find the same tires to buy new ones.

ive read alot of the reviews here,and on tiretrack.com and im torn between the pirelli scorp, or the kumho esta..

i can feel the tires slip a bit on the highway, plus under some hard acelleration, i feel the truck stuttering a bit, but its not the engine, which sounds fantastic... im thinking the tires are slipping under the truck and thats giving me the very very slight chugging sensation.

so.. if you had to choose between these two, which would you go with?

also, anyone in the chicagoland area have a hookup for saving money on tires? we just bought our first house, and strapped for cash, but like i said, i need tires.. gotta stay safe, eh?

Well, I went with the Pirelli Scorpions and love them. I had the Goodyear LS's on my old truck and they wore out quick and had poor dry traction. I have the LS2's on my SS and am considering changing them to Scorpions. After I put the Scorpions on my old truck the ride was smoother, better handling and better dry traction. As far as wet traction it seems about the same. Now the way I saved some money was by going to see if tire shops will match the on-line price. I tried "Pep-Boys" and they matched the Tirerack.com price and did not charge me for shipping which saved me probably $125.00 I think the charge is. Of course I just picked up the tires and took them to a real tire shop to install because the Pep-Boys service dept. can mess up putting gas in your truck. Good luck to you...

Edited by T-Bag (see edit history)

ok so now im in the new casa de bonj, and have a 70 mile daily round trip drive for work every day via I80. I now feel how bad my tires actually are getting. they are stock goodyears. when i got the truck, i loved these tires.. but looking at discounttire.com and other sites, i cant find the same tires to buy new ones.

ive read alot of the reviews here,and on tiretrack.com and im torn between the pirelli scorp,  or the kumho esta..

i can feel the tires slip a bit on the highway, plus under some hard acelleration, i feel the truck stuttering a bit, but its not the engine, which sounds fantastic... im thinking the tires are slipping under the truck and thats giving me the very very slight chugging sensation.

so.. if you had to choose between these two, which would you go with?

also, anyone in the chicagoland area have a hookup for saving money on tires? we just bought our first house, and strapped for cash, but like i said, i need tires.. gotta stay safe, eh?

Have you considered the Bridgestone Fusion? I put a set on my old 92 Stepside and was real pleased..especially considering the price. Go over to tirerack.com to check them out. Here's the tread profile:

fuzion_zri_ci2_l.jpg

I’ve got the kuhmos and I love them. Handle and ride much better/quieter than the stock crap, not to mention their wet traction is decent. They hook nicely on dry pavement too :D . And I believe the weight is within 2lbs of the Good Years.

I believe the shutter you’re experiencing, also referred to as binding, is normal with this big of tire.

I use waukegan tire up north.. I know it is a ride from you but.. give them a call ask for Micheal Mc Bride. He is a personal friend of mine.

Just let him know you talked to Frank they carry Hankook and a ton of other really good choices at some fantastic prices

Waukegan Tire & Supply Co Inc

3444 Washington Street

Waukegan, IL 60085

Phone: (847) 336-5305

Fax: (847) 249-3959

Thanks Rev.

I just called there, but he was busy. ill have to call back. i never heard of hankook tires.

im gonna stop by discounttires on the way home to see what kind of deal they can give me.

If you're free next weekend, would you want to do a custom tune for me? Im in Joliet now,, straight down I55, better ride than 294 these days.

Thanks Rev.

I just called there, but he was busy. ill have to call back. i never heard of hankook tires.

im gonna stop by discounttires on the way home to see what kind of deal they can give me.

If you're free next weekend, would you want to do a custom tune for me? Im in Joliet now,, straight down I55, better ride than 294 these days.

I was just in joliet monday.

Give him a all first thing tomorow. I am out of town this weekend I can prolly do it anytime next week no problem.

I am going to be up there first thing tomorow cause my sisters car is getting tires and an alignment.

They have some of the best prices I have seen and I have connections for that crap all over and Mike blew away all my " friend prices"

It's a bit of a drive for you but if he can do you a good deal the service there is worth it its a top notch facility.

I will be in contact with you in the next few days regaurding a tune.

ok

you're not gonna belive this.. the SS is sick.. AGAIN!!

coming home down I80, I floored it so i could get around a line of semi trucks and bing bing bing.. SOLID SES light!! P0300 code AGAIN!!!

this is number 2 for P0300.... one more time and im lemon lawing this thing..

i ordered my new tires, and im gonna TRY to get to bill jacob's chevy saturday to get them to look at it.. and no, its not the same jerk a$$ dealership that i brought it to last time.

i know im gonna hear 'welll, its your K&N, and that Flowmaster setup.." and im gonna just go bananas...

on the upside, they have this bitchin red silverado out front, whos badges look like crossed flags.. dunno what type of silverado that is.. but its nice..