Erratic idle...

punkt71

Well this has been going on for over a month now. It all started one day when I was pretty low on gas (gas light hadnt come on though) and the truck started stalling when I came to a stoplight. I would start it back up no problem, but then it would die after idling some. I ended up going to the gas station, and filling it up.. and it stopped dying.

Now it feels like its going to stall all the time... especially when turning a corning at low speeds, or if I am driving through a parking lot and come to stops, it feels like its going to stall. The RPMs will drop realllly low, and the it sounds like its going to shut off, and then it starts idling again. If i put it in park and rev it up a little, the RPMs drop too low and it almost stalls.

Any ideas?

I thought the same thing... but my truck even when the tank is full it has the weird idle/stalling problem. According to my Fuel pressure gauge, I dont have a drop in fuel pressure when it does this. Its a solid 62PSI at idle even when it feels like its going to stall.

Thats weird... any chance you bought some bad gas from somewhere?? I had a buddy describe a similar problem... took it into the dealer and they found all kinds of particles in the fuel system clogging things up... they said most likely from shitty gas.

Its either that or the bag of sugar I dumped in your tank :jester:

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

an engine needs a few things to run... fuel, air, spark and compression.... too much or too little of each could be causing your problem. I've heard of this happening before but i cant remember the cause of it... I'll do some research and let you know what i come up with... if i dont edit this, i found nothing...

an engine needs a few things to run... fuel, air, spark and compression.... too much or too little of each could be causing your problem. I've heard of this happening before but i cant remember the cause of it... I'll do some research and let you know what i come up with... if i dont edit this, i found nothing...

had a similar problem with my idle, cured it with a valvoline product called performance system cleaner it comes in a kit with three separate cleaners, throttle body cleaner, fuel injection cleaner for the tank and intake cleaner that you let drip through a vacuum line with the engine running. just a suggestion

Its crazy this is happening just now too. It has a new fuel pump and injectors from when I put on the Radix (2-3 months ago), and I changed the plugs out to NGK TR6's a couple of weeks ago and still the same problem. I have had several tanks of gas in there too from different places to see if that helps. Didnt find any sugar in the tank when the fuel pump was done though Dylan :D

Edited by punkt71 (see edit history)

Ok, I remembered that my buddies 03 silverado z71 did the same thing about a year ago... We jumped to conclusions and checked feul, air, spark and compression which all checked out and then we went to the local les schwabb... for tires or something... we told them the symptoms and a guy who worked there, and he had the same problem... and it turned out to be his BATTERY.... the batt was shot and was causing the problems.... so maybe CHeck your BATTERy.....!!!!

good luck

What RPM is your idle at?

It idles around 650 rpms... when it almost stalls it goes to like 200-300 rpms, and back up...

As for the battery... I can check it out, but its an Optima yellow top battery... I thought the alternator is working at that point, and the battery wouldnt really affect it? I dunno

• 1 month later...

i had the same prob with mine when my battery died 3 months ago... i was at a light and all the sudden the rpms dropped to 2-300.... it didnt shut off but for about a week after i got my new battery it pulled this sh*t at every red light i stopped at... as for the cure, i dont know.. it just stopped happening